well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Moral dilemma

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moral dilemma
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
The surgery center where I have a colonoscopy scheduled won't let you use Uber, Lyft, or a taxi to drive to or from your appointment.

I asked roommate's sister but she's caring for her husband's sister at their house. The sister can't be left alone. And not only this, has six hours of chemotherapy scheduled for the day of my appointment.

I can't ask roommate's mother. Yeah, no.

I don't want to ask roommate because he's not reliable. That's an understatement.

Yes, I've made no friends in this town since moving back to Florida.

I'm scheduled for four different tests and a follow with the board certified gastroenterologist.

Pardon me but they're going to do a colonoscopy, do the test where the tube goes down your throat, do an invasive test of what he called the rectum, whatever it's called, it's the final structure of the digestive tract to test the muscle to tell need for no treatment, medication, or physical therapy, and the fourth appointment is an imaging of two views of the st of the stomach because of my weight loss.

It has taken me years to get this referral and these I appointments.

I'm not willing to miss them.

So I'm thinking take Uber, park around the corner. Tell them my driver left. Then tell them my driver didn't show up.

What are they going to do? Keep me prisoner?

Number one they can't. Number two they're going to want to go home themselves.

Their point is I'm not to drive. I won't be driving.

I hate not following rules in this type of situation and don't need this added stress

Still this is how I'm going to proceed. My other option is to cancel the four tests and the follow up.

Posts: 25169 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The surgery center where I have a colonoscopy scheduled won't let you use Uber, Lyft, or a taxi to drive to or from your appointment.

I believe that the reason for this (which they should have explained to you) is because they don't want you to be alone with a stranger. Anyone who has been sedated is deemed vulnerable, both to being taken advantage of and also of making decisions they might later regret. In my experience accompanying both my mother and spouse to these kinds of procedures, they want to see that there's someone there to accompany you at the beginning, and that the person will stay until the end.

So I suspect that if you show up alone at the beginning, what will happen is that they will cancel to procedure. But you should try to double check with the facility.

I'm really sorry, this is a huge issue for a lot of Americans these days. Frowner

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18847 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Indeed they did not.Frowner

Roommate and his transexual boyfriend just stayed up for over 24 hours. I don't wonder what drug caused it but can't say it here. Of course I didn't react well to being accused of having the boyfriend's truck towed. Roommate has his mother's car and it's his responsibility to buy toilet paper and garbage bags. I stocked the house before he came home. We are out of both. He's acting like he doesn't have a care in the world. It's a terrible thing to witness a beautiful mind shatter like glass. I apologize for over sharing but I'm very stressed and on top of this I won't be able to follow through with my appointments. Urg.

Thanks, SK. I appreciate the clarification.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Ok, if I can't do that one I'm still going to the others.

Ha!

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I wonder if there are any "certified" (for lack of a better term) medical transport services near you? Many of them are free, and they may be organizations that the hospital can vouch for.

Posts: 35427 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
medical transport services

Yep, I just googled, that may be available, although it depends on the area.

Daniel, you should google "medical transportation service" or "health care transportation service."

Good luck!

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18847 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Thanks, both!