well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Lost three friends in the last two weeks
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lost three friends in the last two weeks
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
Feeling kinda down today.

Christopher was someone I got to work with in my very early days at Boeing. He started there about a year before I did. He had just retired from the Air Force and had flown combat rescue helicopters in Vietnam. He was a very smart and generous guy and always made time to answer any question. He retired from Boeing in June at age 84. I keep checking the math on that. He really loved what he did and just kept at it. I don't think he retired due to medical reasons, but maybe just made the point that when you've been doing something for so long, then suddenly stop, it's a shock to the system.

Terry also joined Boeing after retiring from the Air Force. In his last years at Boeing, he was responsible for the flight training manuals. I got to work with him a little bit, but he retired from Boeing shortly before I moved into the flight manuals authoring group. Like my father, he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and passed away shortly thereafter.

The real shocker was my friend Mark. He was in the flight manuals publishing group in Seattle, then moved (back) to California when the work relocated there, then moved back up here about two years ago to work in a related publishing group. He was a super nice guy, very kind and thoughtful and looked after his people. He was about a year and a half older than I am. I haven't gotten the full story, but one of his coworkers said he had a stroke; another said that last Friday he went to take a nap in the afternoon and an hour later his wife went to check on him and he had passed away. Mark worked in the same building as Mrs pj. We kept talking about meeting up for lunch when I was in the area, although I think he was still working from home. Did I mention that he was slightly older than I am? His wife is a very nice woman... when I was in California I got to meet her when Mark and I grabbed some dinner... she was the sushi chef at a local grocery store. I understand that before they moved to California, she was a sushi chef at the big Japanese store here, and she got her old job back when they moved back here.

Those old jokes about getting up every morning, bringing in the newspaper and going straight to the obituaries to see if your name is listed... they're getting to be not so funny.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Wow, I’m sorry to hear this PJ. Comfort

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20467 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friends, pj. Hard to process in such a short period of time.

Comfort

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear this PJ

Losing a friend is never easy, but losing three is a little too much to bear!

Comfort

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18580 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
So sad to hear, pj. At least it wasn’t Covid, but always a shock nonetheless. We are all so vulnerable.

I didn’t know you worked on manuals. That’s such an important skill and job, especially in a critical field like aircraft. You have my utmost respect.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13818 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Sorry you lost your friends. That will hurt for a while.
Spend some time grieving.
Play your banjo.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25720 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry, PJ.

They sound like good people.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34978 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I'm very sorry, PJ.

They sound like good people.

This must be a terrible shock. So sorry, PJ!

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21353 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:

I didn’t know you worked on manuals. That’s such an important skill and job, especially in a critical field like aircraft. You have my utmost respect.
I spent sixteen years, half of my career there, in the flight manuals (How to Fly Your New Aeroplane) and data group. Nine years in the group that configures, prepares, and publishes the manuals, and seven years in the group that writes them (but I did a lot of writing in the first job). I mostly worked on procedures for when things go wrong.

In case anyone from any government, news agency, or my former benevolent employer is reading this, I never worked on the 737 manuals.

[ETA] In my early years there, I was in the customer training group where I taught, among many other things, lavatory systems. I always said I taught the most important system on the aeroplane… if the potties stop working on a 12-hour flight, you have a real problem, and one you cannot mitigate by offering the passengers free drinks.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
That really sucks, PJ. So sorry to hear this. Losing ONE friend is hard to take.

Posts: 12550 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear of your onslaught of loss, PJ. What a shock, all so close too.

Remembering the past you shared must be overwhelming. I always feel those we are close to, carry our memories with them.

It must be a time of serious reflection, coinciding as it does with your retirement. Milestones. Thank heaven you are retiring young enough to enjoy it. Stay well!

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry, pj. The cumulative loss must be hard.

Posts: 45757 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Wow, that’s horrible. Comfort

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Group Hug

So sorry, PJ. That’s rough.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9802 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post