well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The problem in a nutshell

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The problem in a nutshell
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
The loss of feeling towards other human beings. It makes us act horribly.

What, the guy was an "imminent threat"?

Frowner

https://youtu.be/jlmAfv-mrXA

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The loss of feeling towards other human beings. It makes us act horribly.

Yes.

I don't know how we as a society get past this.

I hope the video leads to some consequences for the officers involved.

But that does not prevent the problem from happening again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again....

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18579 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Many people will kill a fly or a spider without thinking twice.

Over and over since well before recorded history, people have brought themselves to kill other people, other groups of people, entire races of people without feeling guilt. It continues today in many places.

The first step is to come to see them as not people. Not human. Like a spider or a fly. From there, genocide is only a few steps away.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Compounding these situations is the immediate explanatory lies from the police - "He tripped and fell". Then the video comes out showing otherwise...

Makes the police less than credible witnesses, doesn't it?

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7557 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gov. Andrew Cuomo says the city of Buffalo should consider firing the officers involved in a now-viral video of police pushing a 75-year-old protester to the concrete where he laid for several minutes with blood pooling under his skull.

Cuomo's comments come as Albany weighs a suite of police reforms following a tumultuous week of civil unrest and nightly dispatches from the streets of New York City showing clashes between police and protesters. Thursday morning he said he hadn’t seen recent videos of police exhibiting undue violence. By Thursday afternoon he was calling for an investigation of of police abuses.

Friday he said watching the footage from Buffalo made him physically ill.

“I was sick to my stomach,” Cuomo said during his daily briefing in Albany. “It was the same feeling I’ve had for 90 of the last nights when we had the death toll from the coronavirus.”

Cuomo said he spoke with the man “who thankfully is alive” Friday morning. Martin Gugino is in serious but stable condition at Erie County Medical Center, according to local reports.

Buffalo police had initially issued a statement Thursday saying the man tripped and fell, but when the video from local radio station WBFO began to circulate across the globe, local and state leaders stepped in.

https://www.politico.com/state...-viral-video-1291436

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
We eventually get the truth when there is video.

How many more cases are there with no video?

It's been asked many times, "what would the police report have said about George Floyd if there had not been video?" "He had a heart attack from the substances in his blood and a pre-existing heart condition while resisting arrest."

We know what happened in the case of Ahmaud Arbery until the video surfaced.

I am very sad to say that police in the United States of America are losing any sense of credibility.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wait, I just saw that the two officers in question were suspended without pay, and then 57 officers resigned in solidarity with the officers? WTF!!

Posts: 18579 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That time honored phrase "following orders". And blaming the victim.

quote:
All 57 of the members of the Buffalo Police Department's Emergency Response Team resigned Friday from the unit which responds to riots and other crowd control situations, the president of the union that represents Buffalo police officers told The Buffalo News.

Two law enforcement sources confirmed the resignations.

Two members of the Emergency Response Team were suspended without pay late Thursday after they were involved in pushing a 75-year-old protester to the ground as they were clearing the area in front of Buffalo City Hall at the emergency curfew. The Erie County District Attorney's Office is investigating the incident. No charges have been filed.

The Emergency Response Team members have not quit the police department, but have stepped down from the tactical unit, according to the sources.

Spectrum News first reported the development on Twitter, along with WIVB-TV.

The union representing Buffalo police officers told its rank and file members Friday that the union would no longer pay for legal fees to defend police officers related to the protests which began Saturday in downtown Buffalo and have continued on and off, according to one source. The union is upset with the treatment of the two officers who were suspended Thursday.

" Our position is these officers were simply following orders from Deputy Police Commissioner Joseph Gramaglia to clear the square," said Buffalo Police Benevolent Association President John Evans. "It doesn't specify clear the square of men, 50 and under or 15 to 40. They were simply doing their job. I don't know how much contact was made. He did slip in my estimation. He fell backwards."

https://buffalonews.com/2020/0...esponse-team-resign/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Emergency Response Team members have not quit the police department, but have stepped down from the tactical unit, according to the sources.

Hmm, so that's an somewhat important detail... Although, if they are not willing to participate in safety at protests in the city of Buffalo, which they serve then this detail isn't that significant....

quote:
Our position is these officers were simply following orders

I am pretty certain that no police department in this country is giving orders to push over an unarmed 75 year old man.

(I'm directing this at the Buffalo police, not you, WTG!)

Someone refresh my memory here.... Isn't there an argument about football players, that they shouldn't wear fullface helmet or as much padding, because when they are padded up and have the fullface, they behave more recklessly and violently.

Same with these cops. Have them show up in gear like the bicycle cops, maybe they'll be more ready to play nicely.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I think this is from Kansas, but the bicycle cops in the bigger city near me have almost the exact same uniform.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
The PBA will pay for any defense costs for the two officers, Evans said, but not for any members of the Emergency Response Team or SWAT in regards to the protesting.

I wonder if this was what prompted the move by the 57. Nobody had their backs. Get off the ERT but stay on the police force.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Fine. buffalo doesn’t need a military unit, and now they don’t have one.

Win win.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:

Win win.

Good point!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:

Win win.

ThumbsUp

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25717 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
His desperation is showing....

quote:
President Donald Trump on Tuesday suggested without evidence that the 75-year-old man whose head was cracked open by Buffalo law enforcement last week was an “ANTIFA provocateur,” alleging the protester was seeking to “set up” the police officers who assaulted him.

“Buffalo protester shoved by Police could be an ANTIFA provocateur. 75 year old Martin Gugino was pushed away after appearing to scan police communications in order to black out the equipment. @OANN,” Trump wrote on Twitter, citing the conservative cable channel One America News Network.

Trump added: “I watched, he fell harder than was pushed. Was aiming scanner. Could be a set up?”

quote:
Trump’s tweet Tuesday echoed a recent OANN segment about a report from a website called the Conservative Treehouse, which alleges Gugino “was attempting to capture the radio communications signature of Buffalo police officers.” The report states that the “capture of communications signals … is a method of police tracking used by Antifa to monitor the location of police.”

Neither OANN nor the Conservative Treehouse offered any evidence to support their claims about Gugino, who is a longtime peace activist from Amherst, according to The Buffalo News. An attorney for Gugino did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Trump’s tweet and Gugino’s current condition.

https://www.politico.com/news/...-buffalo-cops-308716

Bazootiehead-in-training