well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    It fits!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It fits!
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
It fits! I could get one right now, keep my upright too! Just kidding! suave

So I think I could fit up to 6’ 2” pretty easily. Or more if I angled the tail out into the room, but I don’t know that I want to do that. I still want to be able to use the room, fill it with people etc. But 5’7”, 5’10”, 6’ — those lengths should work pretty well.

Keyboard Jam

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18589 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
It looks like if you angle them correctly, you can get two in there.

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Plenty of room! Another piano search saga begins...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7558 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Is that a heat vent by the window?

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Fantastic!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15518 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
Is that a heat vent by the window?

Is this the most forumite-like post ever?

Or maybe this would be it: "Get whatever piano you like, as long as it isn't white."

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15518 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
And it speaks to you.

It simply must speak to you.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34982 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
MA, SM, Big Grin

Kluurs, I'm not sure if you're asking a serious question (or maybe just making fun of my "Have you always had that piano sitting in front of the fireplace there? Do you use that fireplace?" thread)

But in any case, I already have that on my radar. IOW yes, that's a vent. There are two in the room, so if there's a grand piano there, that one will be closed. No, the piano can't really go anywhere else in the room. Yes, those are windows, no, they don't get any direct sunlight at any time of day. The single window gets sort of indirect, very wimpy sunlight in the late afternoon, so I will probably plan to have the blinds closed there just in case. I had an upright piano in front of a patio door when we lived in Japan, and I was veryvery careful about closing the drapes etc.

Also, I think I'm going to get some heavy drapes for the windows in this room just for some dampening, the room right now is too live and there's no sofa or plush chair or large fabric-y items to soak up any of the sound. I notice that if I have a longish practice session, my ears sort of ring and feel tired in a way I never noticed in the living room in our rental. That room was larger than this one and had a small sofa and two large plush chairs in it, so I'm guessing that the lack of objects and smaller room size is the problem. I don't know how that sound profile would change with a grand piano though.

Posts: 18589 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Will you be moving the chair and tables so that the piano is closest to the wall? Because no one wants to sit back there!

Don’t forget that the bench takes up room, too, especially because you have to be able to scoot it back a bit.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
The general rule of thumb I heard for benches is bench depth + 2 feet. So if your bench is 2 feet deep (not wide), you want 4 feet.

Posts: 35384 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I would angle it with keyboard seen. Begs to be played! Standing lamp on left.

Or maybe flat against the wall for more 'room' room

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
AdagioM, yes I will move those items from along the wall, and have the piano a little closer to the wall. I just didn't want to move everything just to get an idea of the length.

Nina and AdagioM, re the bench, I was wondering about how much space to plan for, Nina, that's a helpful way to think about it, thanks!

LL, when you say angle it with keyboard see, do you mean move the keyboard out into the room and point the tail into the corner (where the tall plant is now)? I was thinking if I angled it, I would have the tail point out into the room a little, but that would result in the keyboard being less visible.

Either way, I'm not likely to angle it because having the straight side flat against the wall will be the best room of layout for the room, as you note.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I don't know if anyone else had this reaction, but it seems to me that how the piano is angled (or not angled) affects the "mood" of the room and how the pianist interacts with other people in the room.

1. Piano tail angled into the corner between the windows; keyboard is visible and invites people to play but visual interaction with people in the room is limited.

2. Piano straight along wall reminds me of a formal concert hall arrangement; interaction with audience is similar to number 1.

3. Piano angled with tail into room, pianist sits with back into the corner and looks out into the room; maximum opportunity for visual interaction with other people in the room. Creates a more casual, interactive feeling.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37981 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
This! I like to see the room when I play. Nice for parties, too.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
WTG thanks for spelling that out like that! I hadn't thought about that aspect of positioning.

I definitely don't want to do #1. I'm already sick to death of sitting with my back to everyone (i.e., the upright piano configuration).

I think we'll do either #2 or #3 of your explanations. The benefit of #2 is that I think it would be the position that allows for maximizing the room, so it would be easier to have people and chair etc.

But the benefit of #3 is exactly what you said, great way for the pianist to interact and be involved with guests, be able to see the room etc. I love that idea!!