well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    RIP Daniel Kahneman

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Daniel Kahneman
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Best-selling psychologist of 'Thinking, Fast and Slow,' dies at 90

https://www.npr.org/2024/03/27...-kahneman-obit-nobel

--------------------------------
When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38182 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Kahneman and Tversky are common readings in any class that touches on behavioral economics.

Posts: 12707 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Crash course.

https://www.clearerthinking.or...rstand-how-you-think

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38182 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I had an "intellectual partner" in school and for a couple decades following.

It was great.

Of course we didn't do any work together other than study. He went on to get his Ph.D. and became an academic.

He's one of two people from school I'd like to contact. That would be easy. I don't think I'm ready quite yet.

The other is a woman I miss more than anyone from my previous life. I can not find her. We last spoke fourteen years ago. I haven't given up. I hope she's Ok.

I took one economics class at UF. You went to the classroom and a video on a television screen played. Then you went to a lecture with three hundred other students.

I didn't get anything out of it. I don't remember if I got an F or got an F and it was expunged.

That would have departed on whether it was the first or second semester.

This is the first time I've heard of Daniel Kahneman.

RIP

Posts: 25109 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Of his work I most appreciated his distinction between the experiencing self and the remembering self. It might not be regional with him, but he’s who introduced the idea to me.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33811 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post