well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A fight brewing in Oregon

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A fight brewing in Oregon
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Is there an electric range in your future?

Gas industry fighting back on proposal to ban gas appliances in new construction.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
In the hypocrisy department, I'm torn on this one. Selfishly, I LOVE being able to cook with gas. I'm OK with everything else going electric, just not my gas stove.

Upon reflection, I think we're pretty much there already. We have a tankless water heater that I'm pretty sure is electric. We have an electric heat pump. We have one of those fake gas fireplaces that we installed for resale value but have never used.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I just bought a new gas range last year. No way am I giving it up. Sucker's powerful..I cook steaks on a setting of 2.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13562 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
there we are.

Tankless water heaters do not work here because at this altitude the pressure from the gas is insufficient. Would be surprised if any are electric.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Tankless never makes sense anyway. Never.

Tanks are where it’s at.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
I just bought a new gas range last year. No way am I giving it up. Sucker's powerful..I cook steaks on a setting of 2.

For pure power, gas will never match magnetic induction.

I can boil water on a small, plug-in induction cooktop in half the time of my biggest burner on the gas stove. I think I bought it for $60 more than a decade ago.

Mary Anna doesn't like gas, and I can't stand electric, so induction seems like our compromise (although I got her a copper plate to put over the gas burner to make gas function more like her beloved-but-Quirt-can't-live-with-it electric cooktop).

Posts: 45754 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Sticking with the beautiful gas cooktop as long as it keeps working or I die first. I’m old enough to have bigger concerns.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13817 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
A friend who is a very good cook swore she would never use anything other than a gas stove - until they were in a condo which had an induction cooktop.

Now they bought a new home with a nice gas cooktop and she's looking to swap that out!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7557 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Tankless never makes sense anyway. Never.

Tanks are where it’s at.

Why do you think so? I've really liked mine.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Because the heating cost per gallon is so high.

Initial cost of a tankless is high. Repair costs are high (minimum of two circuit boards), maintenance costs are high (flush every year or it will die).

I just don’t see the advantage.

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Because the heating cost per gallon is so high.

Initial cost of a tankless is high. Repair costs are high (minimum of two circuit boards), maintenance costs are high (flush every year or it will die).

I just don’t see the advantage.

That's good to know as Mrs. Kluurs would like infinite hot water - which would make it even more expensive to go tankless.

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I'm astonished that this thread has not been Doug bait.

Posts: 45754 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post