well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Digital afterlife

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Digital afterlife
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Been doing some estate planning and came across this article about the digital afterlife industry.

quote:
THE CREEPY NEW DIGITAL AFTERLIFE INDUSTRY

These companies could use your data to bring you back—without your consent

https://spectrum.ieee.org/digital-afterlife

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37959 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow.

Ugh.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18556 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
I saw a company at a consumer electronics show that touts a “digital afterlife” type technology/service: they train AI using recordings/writings/interviews left over by people who died (like some famous people, Holocaust survivors who were interviewed then died, etc.), and allow people (e.g., museum visitors) to “talk” to these AI models as the AI models try to respond like the deceased people would.

I told the sales rep. that that’s full of ethical problems, the sales rep. would have none of it. Shrug

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12693 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
I saw a company at a consumer electronics show that touts a “digital afterlife” type technology/service: they train AI using recordings/writings/interviews left over by people who died (like some famous people, Holocaust survivors who were interviewed then died, etc.), and allow people (e.g., museum visitors) to “talk” to these AI models as the AI models try to respond like the deceased people would.

I told the sales rep. that that’s full of ethical problems, the sales rep. would have none of it. Shrug

This reminds me of the Mormon practise of baptizing people into the church after they have died, including victims of the Holocaust. (ETA: I find this idea disgusting…when I reread my post I wasn’t sure that was clear.)

While I love the idea of a person who has given consent in life being able to “speak” to later generations, there are so many ways that this could abused by people later on.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4097 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
[ I love the idea of a person who has given consent in life being able to “speak” to later generations

I haven't seen the exhibit, but there is something like that at the Illinois Holocaust Museum in Skokie, which isn't that far from me.

https://www.ilholocaustmuseum....-stories-experience/

There was a segment on 60 Minutes about it. Transcript only. Unless you have a subscription to Paramount+, where you can see the video.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/h...-minutes-2020-04-05/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37959 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post