well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Cable vs streaming - breaking down the costs
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cable vs streaming - breaking down the costs
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Cable vs. Streaming: Which Is Cheaper?

We've done the math and broken down the costs to see if having a bunch of subscriptions is better than cable.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/home...sive-than-streaming/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I noticed that they didn’t talk about Roku and/or casting from your phone.

Roku sticks are cheap and come with a number streaming services built in. They’ll turn an older TV in to a smart TV so you can ditch the cable box. You can also put a TV anywhere and not worry about coax cable in the wall. You can add in any number of streaming apps, including pay apps. You can also stream pretty much anything from your phone.

We’ve gotten rid of cable boxes and coax cable everywhere and use Roku sticks. We subscribe to the Spectrum app to get local channels and sports for about $50/month; the advantage being you can use it at as many rooms/addresses as you want, even across state lines, and on any number of phones. I think YouTube TV works the same.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I stream Netflix, we get amazon free with our prime account, and we have a digital antenna. More than enough to watch.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I hate, hate, hate, commercial TV.

I simply refuse to watch it. Paying to not have to watch commercials is worth every penny.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
We have cable and a few subscriptions, some we pay for, some our daughter pays and we share.

But our cable boxes are Wi-Fi, so no cables other than the internet coming into the house. It's great.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
I stream Netflix, we get amazon free with our prime account, and we have a digital antenna. More than enough to watch.

Same.

J

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:

I simply refuse to watch it. Paying to not have to watch commercials is worth every penny.

I wonder if the same attitude prevailed 80-100 years ago with the arrival of commercial radio.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:

agree, 1000 times over.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I need to sit down and figure this out. Our internet/cable bill is totally out of hand. It's even more infuriating when you realize that our internet service is total garbage - dead zones in the house, dropped connections, etc. None of this is fixed by adding their "boosters," and I'm not in the mood to plunk down a few hundy for a decent mesh system when I'm not convinced the problem isn't with the quality of the incoming signal.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Nina, it shouldn't be difficult to find out the strength of the incoming signal. Should be able to find it in your connnections menu.

Change internet providers if that signal isn't strong.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, there is only one option in my neighborhood.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I need to sit down and figure this out. Our internet/cable bill is totally out of hand. It's even more infuriating when you realize that our internet service is total garbage - dead zones in the house, dropped connections, etc. None of this is fixed by adding their "boosters," and I'm not in the mood to plunk down a few hundy for a decent mesh system when I'm not convinced the problem isn't with the quality of the incoming signal.

Lose the cable boxes and get YouTube TV. It works great, and I don’t have those dumb cable boxes.

The kids and I share Netflix, Hulu, and Prime. Definitely cheaper than cable.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Basic cable is part of the HOA package. I pay $42 dollars for good internet service.
We have Netflix and Prime via Roku.
Dropped HBO Max and will be dropping ESPN+.
I pay for Britbox, because I must have the mysteries.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Unfortunately, there is only one option in my neighborhood.

I have two providers available at my home. One is the local telecom and the other is the historical cable TV company.

I stuck with the telecom provider for internet as long as I could stand the service (DSL and I'm at the end of a long circuit, so it was slow and not very reliable). I'm currently being served by the other company and I'm much happier with the quality of the service, but it is expensive.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I just need to put a spreadsheet together and figure out how much it will cost us to just have internet and various other stuffs when costing separately.

We have Netflix through T-mobile
We have Prime through Amazon
We watch HBO, ESPN, NFL, NBA.
Looking at Hulu, Sling (Cindy, didn't you have that for awhile?), YouTube, and whatever it might cost to go basic cable + a la carte. The sports channels are expensive, but that's about 50% of what we watch.

We also need to make sure the services aren't ISPN location-specific, so we can watch from the great white north.