well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Fauci's role

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fauci's role
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
https://youtu.be/nFoAczoHbV0

I know some of you don't like to hear these facts.

Sorry.

Credit where credit is due.

Blame where blame is due, too.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
You used "facts" to describe a Sky News report?

Ummm ....

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
It's 6 min, 18 sec.

You might watch it and evaluate the content.

I think the difference between the facts and opinions would be apparent.

Quirt, this link contains a clip of Fauci himself admitting what he did when he funded gain of function research at the Wuhan lab.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
He said they studied the animal/human interface. That's all he said. For maybe 10 seconds. And then the Sky News "journalist" went off on a rant. And then they interviewed Trump ... which, if we are trying to obtain facts, is probably the last thing I would ever do.

Let me be clear. NOT trying to understand how viruses jump from animals to humans would be incredibly irresponsible for a public health official. As to where that research took place ... that's a judgment call.

I trust Dr. Fauci. You don't. But this supposed "news" is absurd and isn't journalism. And his minor contribution to the segment proves nearly nothing, unless you've already reached conclusions and you're viewing everything through the lens of confirmation.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Some additional info from MIT Technology Review.

https://www.technologyreview.c...ks-america-to-wuhan/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
"Gain of function" is an unfortunate term, which means pretty much any type of genetic manipulation. It is not reserved only for manipulations that lead to a more lethal version of the virus, which the Foxtel person is arguing.

The debate really involves the origins of the COVID-19 variant: natural mutation transmitted in the wild from animal to man (most likely bat to some intermediary animal tbd to man), or an escape from the Wuhan lab. That's the debate. Then the GOF question was raised, with zero evidence that there was any US-funded GOF research on the COVID-19 variant in Wuhan. Voila! Lab escape and GOF research was now intertwined, incorrectly. It's also worth noting that the lab escape theory is just that: a theory. If the origin of the virus was not from the lab, the GOF debate is irrelevant.

The details do matter. GOF research doesn't always mean enhanced pathology. SARS-CoV-2 write large is not the same thing, genetically, as COVID-19.

Gain of function is a terrible term, in part because it allows for such misuse and misinterpretation. Was it innocent in this reporters case? I don't know, but my assumption is that it was not. Key clues for me: the Trump interview and the fact that it was aired on Sky News, a Murdoch/Australia controlled outlet that has been banned multiple times from social media for spreading misinformation about COVID.

Posts: 35380 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
⬆︎

This is a dispassionate analysis of evidence and text.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I think Dr. Redfield's argument makes sense.

https://youtu.be/f0_RhfT21bw

On top of this, Dr. Fauci is not a virologist.

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Dredged up his six month old "explosive claims." Have fun.

Most virologists seemingly don't accept these claims.

Why Redfield Is (was) wrong on SARS-CoV-2 Origins

You actually have to read this carefully in order to see how divorced Redfield is from the scientific mainstream.

quote:
It's often stated almost as a truism, and apparently accepted by Redfield, that a virus crossing from animals into people has to undergo rapid adaptation to become transmissible in humans. While that may often be true, it doesn't have to be. We know SARS-CoV-2 itself can jump seamlessly between hosts – it's gone multiple times from humans into minks and spread like wildfire. It transmits perfectly well among hamsters and ferrets in the lab. If a human virus can transmit among mink, there's no basis to assume a bat virus can't transmit among humans. Us humans may think we're very special – but to a virus we are just another mammalian host.

quote:
Redfield's more sinister claim – that Chinese researchers passaged this virus repeatedly to make it grow better and thus adapted it to human transmission in the lab – simply doesn't hold up. A study from late 2020 in PLoS Biology demonstrated that the ability of SARS-related coronavirus spike proteins to bind to human cells is naturally evolving in the viral milieu, and a more recent not-yet-peer reviewed study found that SARS-CoV-2 isn't even unusually good at doing so; the spike of a closely related virus found in pangolins initiates infection of human cells much more effectively. SARS-CoV-2 is still adapting though. The spike protein from the B.1.1.7 variant acts a lot more like the pangolin virus spike protein. Evolution never stops.

More fundamentally, adaptation to human transmission and virulence is exactly the opposite of what we'd expect from serial passage in cells or animals. This exact process is a classic way of weakening a virus to make a vaccine – the oral polio vaccine developed by Sabin and the yellow fever vaccine have used this approach, among many others. That's because viruses evolve virulence and transmission in a complex host system. If you extract them from that system and force them to evolve in a different context (like in cells outside a body) they "de-adapt" to the "real world," precisely the opposite of what Redfield suggests. Frankly, it's hard to understand why he wouldn't know that.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post