well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Where is the "Dear Midwest," thread?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where is the "Dear Midwest," thread?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
I didn't violate any rule and I didnt see anyone else do so.

I left for 6 hours and it has disappeared.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
86ed? Wink

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
If it was deleted, I didn't do it, and I was unaware. Perhaps pj deleted it himself ... wasn't he the original poster? The original poster can always delete a thread.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Thank you, PD.

Quirt, please explain, in your capacity as moderator, why this this thread was deleted. We have never deleted threads here based on whether the person who started it liked its progress (in this case, PJ) so there must be a reason. I'd like to know what it is.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
If it was deleted, I didn't do it, and I was unaware. Perhaps pj deleted it himself ... wasn't he the original poster? The original poster can always delete a thread.

PJ, Did you delete this thread? Why?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Just as a point of information, the original poster has at times deleted threads. I can think of examples where someone disclosed something personal, asked for advice, and announced they'd be deleting the thread after a short period.

I also know of no rule prohibiting an original poster from deleting a thread.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Quirt, we cross posted. We have never been able to delete our own threads after a second person has replied. This was the case the entire time Cindy, Nina, and Jodi were moderators. It has always been the case that members have been denied such requests since you and various moderators were elected. And, last time I checked, the software will not let members without moderator privledges delete threads in progress.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
Just as a point of information, the original poster has at times deleted threads. I can think of examples where someone disclosed something personal, asked for advice, and announced they'd be deleting the thread after a short period.

I also know of no rule prohibiting an original poster from deleting a thread.

Nope. That's literally not how the software works. See post above.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
Quirt, we cross posted. We have never been able to delete our own threads after a second person has replied. This was the case the entire time Cindy, Nina, and Jodi were moderators. It always been the case that membets have been denied such requests since you and various moderators were elected. And, last time I checked, the software will not let members without moderator privledges delete threads in progress.

As I said, I am aware that people have in fact deleted posts. Surely you recall people soliciting advice about a personal matter and announcing that they'd be pulling the thread in a day or two. I do not recall facilitating the deletion for them. Perhaps someone else did.

As for how the software works, I don't have an answer for that. Perhaps Matt does. Or perhaps one of the people who I know have deleted threads can speak up. I will not name them, but they know who they are. I can think of at least two or three examples.

In any event, I can tell you this much with certainty about this particular post:

1. I didn't do it.

2. It wasn't discussed with me, and I wasn't aware of it.

Beyond that, deponent sayeth not.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Quirt.

PJ, I want to know if you deteted this thread, and if you did, I want to know if you did it in your capacity as a "citizen poster" or as a moderator.

It is very disconcerting to find threads (and posts) deleted for no apparent reason.

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
He must have realized I was right.

BTW, and it took Mrs. Mark a while to figure this out, I am always right. Big Grin

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Working from memory here-- The originator can delete a thread they started, but not after it has replies. I honestly don't remember if that was a software requirement or something that we agreed to do. Only a moderator can delete an entire thread. That I'm pretty much positive about (though I'm not going to test it).

We have had occasion to delete a thread, but only under some tight circumstances--usually for outright trolling, or obvious breaking the rules (like outing someone's personal info). We've also deleted threads that have been posted with the intention of deleting in the first place--I don't remember specifics, but I know we've had threads where the person wanted to ask a question of the group, and said right off the bat that they were going to delete the thread (or ask a moderator to delete it) after X days for privacy reasons.

I also need to admit that I know when I was a mod I inadvertently deleted a thread--intending to just delete or edit my response, but hitting the wrong button and zapping the entire thing. I know I confessed it right away, as it was an honest mistake.

I agree, it's odd that an entire thread disappeared.

Posts: 35380 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Thank you for making me feel better, Nina. I’ve accidentally edited people’s posts (but not in years), but I’ve never deleted a whole thread by accident.

As far as I know.

Leaving