well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    World’s most and least racist countries

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

World’s most and least racist countries
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
By one measure anyway.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
That's encouraging, at least here, but the curmudgeon in me wonders whether that question really measures how socially acceptable it is to admit to being racist.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Indeed it does, but I would assume a decent correlation. My first thought was ‘triple all the numbers’.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Interesting that Japan is not measured.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13555 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The U.S and Brazil are not racist? BS

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25704 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Mik - I see it as light blue. 10-15%.

I would have expected it to somewhere in the red.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Could be. I saw it as gray, but I could be wrong.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Without having read it, my guess is that this is yet another example of a bullish!t "study." Made to grab attention more than to illuminate.

Just what does "another race" mean in these different contexts. I'm sure it means something very different in India than it does in Japan or the US. And as Mary Anna notes, the survey is likely capturing differential cultural willingness to talk to strangers about delicate subjects as much (or more) than it is measuring actual attitudes about this undefined idea of race.

Then we get into differential response rates and that kind of statistical bias ...

Posts: 12531 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
What P*D said.

I'm also curious about how the questions were worded in each language. W/ regard to Japan, for example, I bet you'd get worse answers by phrasing it "people from a different country" or "foreigner" than by phrasing it "another race."

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18471 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Difficult to phrase a question that will have the same connotation in all cultures. And if the question is NOT the same, there's variability right there.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
The U.S and Brazil are not racist? BS

+1

Posts: 24720 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about this, and it's odd. India is the most racist, yet they really have only one race. What they do have is a large number of ethnic and religious differences. Are Muslims and Hindus, Sikhs and Baha'i different races? For that matter, what about Sunnis and Shias? There seems to be a confusion between race and ethnicity. Rookie mistake.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post