well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What's everyone up to these days?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's everyone up to these days?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
MA, congrats on these fantastic accomplishments!

quote:
one of my daughters has had a major health scare. The news, so far, is good, but we are far from the finish line.

Quirt, I'm really sorry to hear about this. I can imagine how unsettling it is for all of you. May the news continue to be good!

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18561 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
MA, congrats on these fantastic accomplishments!

quote:
one of my daughters has had a major health scare. The news, so far, is good, but we are far from the finish line.

Quirt, I'm really sorry to hear about this. I can imagine how unsettling it is for all of you. May the news continue to be good!

Me too. I missed that part.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Dol, those shoes are very cool! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
I'm now retired for 5 years. A lot of plans for what I'd do when I retired didn't come to fruition as Mrs. Kluurs developed a malignancy a few years back. She had two cell types of cancer including one that is "aggressive" and represents a disproportionate share of fatalities for that type of cancer. We managed to get great care for her - and to date, no reoccurrences; however, the aggressiveness of the therapy has resulted in some significant permanent side effects. That's absorbed much of the past 3 plus years for both us.

We now have a new normal - and I have time to explore a bit of what I want to do - as soon as I sort that out. This spring I'm focused on doing battle with our basement storage situation.

Otherwise, I still run and lift weights. I was supposed to run a race last Saturday but pulled a muscle which preluded that.

My music is going well - trying to grind down the Chopin 2nd Scherzo in B-flat minor. It's an easier piece than I imagined as it has a lot of repetition in it - and falls well into my hands, but working it up to tempo will take a bit of time. I'm also hacking away at the Rachmaninov/Kreisler Liebesleid.

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
We managed to get great care for her - and to date, no reoccurrences; however, the aggressiveness of the therapy has resulted in some significant permanent side effects. That's absorbed much of the past 3 plus years for both us.

I'm glad she's had no reoccurences, but I can only imagine how difficult these three years have been for you both!

I hope you can enjoy your new normal now!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18561 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
I'm now retired for 5 years. A lot of plans for what I'd do when I retired didn't come to fruition as Mrs. Kluurs developed a malignancy a few years back. She had two cell types of cancer including one that is "aggressive" and represents a disproportionate share of fatalities for that type of cancer. We managed to get great care for her - and to date, no reoccurrences; however, the aggressiveness of the therapy has resulted in some significant permanent side effects. That's absorbed much of the past 3 plus years for both us.

I'm so sorry, Ken.

Posts: 45753 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Dol, those shoes are very cool! ThumbsUp

I'll say!
Real works of art.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:

That sounds like a really terrible disappointment to your long-awaited retirement, to say the least. I'm awfully sorry you guys are having to go through all this. The "significant permanent side effects" sounds like a sad understatement. What a rough blow for your wife - sending heartfelt regrets and wishes for continued remission and the best possible ways of coping.

I can't help regretting you didn't confide hadn't something of these developments a bit before now. Three years is a long time, especially to be confronted with all that pain and anxiety along with the disappointment about your happy plans. Hopefully, some can still be undertaken.

Surely you've seen how supportive this group is in times of medical crisis - and the caring is real! When one doesn't want to share all the nitty gritty while things are going on (which is so understandable) just letting us know you two are suffering, and about the retirement..Well, now we know. I'm sad about your news. Hoping for continued medical status quo if not better, and ways to enjoy life albeit in different ways, especially having each other.

And take care of yourself too. Comfort

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’m very sorry, Ken. I hope she continues to do OK.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

Today we’re going to get on Route 66 which we’ll follow all the way to CA.
Get your kicks.

The Delgadillo’s Snow Cap burger place in Seligman was okay when I was there several years ago. It’s a touristy experience. I actually ended up there from an offhand post Ermo made.

Yes definitely stop here. The people are super nice, the food is good (and cheap IIRC) and the building and surrounding sights are something to behold. Very kitschy and adorable!!!

Posts: 4408 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Dol - way cool! Love them!

MA - congrats! What is happening to your teaching job when you move - will you be teaching virtually or finding a different position in NY. I asked for the Physicists Daughter as a christmas gift and I enjoyed it very much!

Quirt - sorry to hear about your quirtlet's news. LL#1 will be there in August and will live (we think) very close to the UCSF hospitals in mission bay so if they ever need a place to crash overnight near the hospital let me know.

Ken - so sorry to hear about your wife. Sounds like you did everything right and I hope she continues to win her battle.

ETA - Markj (knew I was forgetting someone!) -- sorry to hear about your job search. I know the market for software people is rough right now - hope you land in a great place!

And sorry if I've forgotten anyone else's big news!

For me, LL#1 graduates college next week and then we load her carp in a ubox and ship it to California, so I will soon figure out if the moving plans we made actually work out (will all her stuff fit in the box? who knows????) We are dealing with some legal issues on the CA end for housing - she was offered campus housing by UCSF (yay it's subsidized and only costs an arm vs. the market rate of arm and a leg!) but she has 2 emotional support cats that she has had for years and has extensive doctor notes and records to support. UCSF housing is saying she can only have one of the 2 cats and the prospect of having to leave one of the cats behind has basically ruined what should be the happy last few weeks of college - she has been crying constantly and having panic attacks. She is planning to appeal their decision (so hey, any of the lawyers here want to weigh in? We tried finding a lawyer in california but they are all too busy to take on new clients so she's trying to get advice on how to frame the appeal from a disability rights organization right now.)

As for myself, I got laid off from my marching band gig after the fall season - the director retired and the new guy they brought in had his own staff so I was "made redundant." So I have started volunteering at an amazing place -- they are a huge collection of vintage electronic musical instruments and are trying to rebrand themselves and turn into an actual museum. The place is amazing (the website is kinda bad and desperately needs a complete redesign, but here, check it out: https://emeapp.org/) Someday I'll do a whole separate post on the place because it's so incredible but for now, I'll just say that I get to be around (and play!) super amazing instruments every day....e.g. Keith Emerson's 9 ft Steinway D and his brazilian rosewood Steinway B and all kinds of crazy rare 80s synthesizers. It's basically paradise on earth for a synthesizer geek/prog rock fan/piano player and if anyone is planning to visit the Philly area, I'd love to take you on a tour of the place.

Otherwise, life is pretty normal. Mr. Lisa kinda hates his job and LL#2 is finishing up his freshman year of college majoring in software engineering and minoring in music technology. He's planning to volunteer with me over the summer because did I mention the place is amazing????

Posts: 4408 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am so sad to hear this news. Frowner

I hope the no reoccurrences continues and that she finds some relief from the side effects.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Hugs to the kluurs' household... Group Hug

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37960 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post