well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Incandescent light bulbs

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Incandescent light bulbs
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
While everyone was yelling about gas stoves, the incandescent light bulb went away

https://www.politico.com/news/...ht-bulb-led-00107935

We use 15W and 25W incandescents in a number of small table lamps. Last time I checked a while back, I couldn't find LED equivalents for those lower wattage bulbs. I thought about popping over to Menards or Home Depot to stock up on the smaller incandescents before August 1st, but I checked again and it looks like the LED manufacturers have caught up and there are quite a few alternatives available...

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37960 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Yep. LEDs have come a long way in power and color.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13562 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I get most of my bulbs at IKEA now, but I don’t recall seeing a standard-base bulb there less than 4W which is roughly equivalent to a 40W incandescent.

I have a few 4W bulbs where I need a little bit of light… there’s a floor lamp standing innocuously in the corner of the living room that we just keep on all the time. It has an early Phillips 4W LED bulb. It’s been on for at least ten years now. The only time it’s ever been off is when the power goes out and when I replaced the outlet.

The light bulb in the fridge died a couple months ago. I replaced it with a 5W LED labeled for ceiling fans. It’s working fine.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I saw this, wtg. I stocked up on some today. The light is easier for my eyes. YMMV.

Posts: 24732 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
We have been using almost all LED bulbs for a long time, but when I was at my mother's house and changing bulbs in one of her ceiling fans, I couldn't find an LED replacement that worked. They were specialty bulbs and didn't have the standard base, and the ceiling fan bulbs I could find in LED had a slightly longer base that just didn't work. We found some incandescent options, but eventually I assume the whole fixture will need to be replaced if the LED option isn't sized right.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18567 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
This reminds me of a question I've always had but never actually tried to get an answer for.

If you have a lamp (made for incandescent) that says to only use 40 watt bulbs in, can you use an LED that's a 60w replacement? Since the 60w replacement LED is something like 10w, I always thought it was probably ok, but I ended up using a 40w replacement.

Posts: 18567 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
This reminds me of a question I've always had but never actually tried to get an answer for.

If you have a lamp (made for incandescent) that says to only use 40 watt bulbs in, can you use an LED that's a 60w replacement? Since the 60w replacement LED is something like 10w, I always thought it was probably ok, but I ended up using a 40w replacement.
Wattage limitations are due to heat emitted from the bulb. So, something that allows 40W incandescent bulb will also allow 40W LED bulb. So check the actual wattage of the LED bulb, and if it's less than the fixture rating (40W in your example) it's fine to use.

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
You go by the actual wattage of the LED bulb.

A 17 watt LED is usually rated as a 150 watt incandescent replacement. Because it actually draws only 17 watts you can use it in a 40 watt rated socket.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Too many LED bulbs seem to be over rated. A 60 watt incandescent bulb can be plenty for reading. An LED rated at 60 watts is inadequate.
I finally found an LED reading lamp that has enough light.
Cannot find a Lumens rating for the lamp.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
A bunch of types of incandescent bulbs are excluded from the ban:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/01...-bulb-ban/index.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37960 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Happy to see they excluded some incandescent bulbs. Appliance bulbs for one. We had what is probably a 50 year old oven bulb go out the other day. An LED would just melt in an oven.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Dan, Steve, thanks for the confirmation! I'm glad I was thinking about it in the right way.

quote:
An LED would just melt in an oven.

Eeker

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
4 6-count GE 40 watts frosted incandescent arriving soon.

These are for my personal use (our house has all LED lighting, done for saving electricity, of course).

I'll give up incandescent bulbs in a few years when I run out of them.

Posts: 24732 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Appliance rated LED bulbs work just fine.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Appliance rated LED bulbs work just fine.
Are there appliance-rated LEDs that work in ovens?

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post