well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Mid-century house listing (a diversion)

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mid-century house listing (a diversion)
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
There's a lot I love about this house and its furnishings... but also, there's a fine line between retro and dated, and maybe it's just be me but I think the stove is on the wrong side of that line.

https://www.zillow.com/homedet...8264/23656595_zpid/?

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18472 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I like the stove, but not next to those counters. Those are warring factions. The counter color is too strident for the rest of the house.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
An awesome house with cut rate staging.

The house itself appears pristine. No one has messed with the bones, although that blue countertop never appeared in a mid century house. Cheap enough to replace. The built in cabinets (are they teak?) are very fine and appear to be original.

The staging, (avocado green appliances, crappy flat pack Wayfair furniture) is almost cynical in the way it was done, but is good enough for the masses. If it’s being sold furnished a savvy buyer will consider spending some $2K to haul that stuff away.

The floors are wrong but easy enough to change. They should be low pile carpet, narrow oak strip, cork, or asbestos tile. Maybe linoleum in the kitchen and baths. No big deal - the cove lighting would be nearly impossible to reproduce at any price. The wood panels over the fireplace aren’t original but if they can accommodate a TV they’re as modern as next week.

More important would be the systems. It likely needs repiping, both supply and drains. Not cheap. The heating/cooling setup needs looking at, as does the electrical. It’s a simple ranch and the basement looks good in the picture so it should be OK.

If I wanted to live in that town I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
As an aside, the landscaping and staging tells me it’s a flip. Way too much bare mulch.

This isn’t necessarily a bad thing as the cosmetics have been done, but don’t expect much in the way of material improvements.

How’s the roof?

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
That’s my old neck of the woods.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20459 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
My brother just bought a very similar house in Olympia. I like it. But it needs some material improvements.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13555 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
the landscaping and staging tells me it’s a flip. Way too much bare mulch.

I wondered about. I would be hesitant about buying a flip. I would definitely want a very thorough inspection at minimum.

Anyway, I thought it was fun to look at.

And more realistic than the houses with an 8-digit price tag that the algorithms keep pushing at me! Ole

Posts: 18472 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Why not buy a flip? The flipper spent a whole lot of$ correcting the cosmetics. Just don’t expect that same flipper to correct the problems you can’t see on an internet listing.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
don’t expect that same flipper to correct the problems you can’t see

This is the main reason why I would not be keen on buying a flip. Well, not just the concern that they only fix things that are visible, but also that the things they do fix might not be fixed very well.

This is all hypothetical though, because we're not planning on moving any time soon. Who knows, maybe the next we move, I will feel differently.

There's definitely something to be said for all those cosmetic upgrades. Esp. if we ask Mr. SK, who painted practically every wall and all the trim in every room in this house before we moved in. He did an excellent job, but I don't think that's how he wants to spend his time, given a choice! Yes