well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Adios, Netflix
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adios, Netflix
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
We are watching Diplomat on Netflix. It is the best non-comedy I have seen in a while.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow. I guess their content must be more compelling that I thought.

I wonder if Netflix itself is surprised by this result, or if it went as predicted.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
wtg, thanks but I gave up my library card around the time internet cafes stopped being a thing.

Maybe you should reconsider! Libraries do so much more than just check out books now. Ours has online subscriptions to a lot of the newspapers and magazines. I didn't know about the streaming thing but it wouldn't surprise me if they had that as well. And they also lend out museum passes that admit 4 to various local museums as well as obscure tools that you'd buy to use for one specific project (think like voltmeters and sawzalls) and then it would sit around your garage forever gathering dust, and even kids toys and puzzles. The museum passes alone are an awesome benefit and it's all totally free.

Posts: 4404 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
wtg, thanks but I gave up my library card around the time internet cafes stopped being a thing.

Maybe you should reconsider! Libraries do so much more than just check out books now. Ours has online subscriptions to a lot of the newspapers and magazines. I didn't know about the streaming thing but it wouldn't surprise me if they had that as well. And they also lend out museum passes that admit 4 to various local museums as well as obscure tools that you'd buy to use for one specific project (think like voltmeters and sawzalls) and then it would sit around your garage forever gathering dust, and even kids toys and puzzles. The museum passes alone are an awesome benefit and it's all totally free.

In addition to the above, mine also has board games, games for a few different video game consoles, and passes for our National Parks. They also run a seed library so you can “borrow” up to ten varieties of seeds in the spring. If you have extra produce that you can’t use as a result they facilitate getting it to families in need. They use the Libby app to loan out audio books and digital books. They offer 3D printing services and classes in cooking, crafting, and computer software. They also provide valuable services such as helping folks access community services, internet access (included wifi access points) to those who can’t afford it, help filling out documents for folks who are new to English, etc etc etc.

You don’t have to use the library, but please don’t talk about it as if it’s an irrelevant dinosaur. It’s a valuable community asset, especially for those in difficult situations.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
please don’t talk about it as if it’s an irrelevant dinosaur. It’s a valuable community asset, especially for those in difficult situations.

+100!!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Netflix Reports Growth Amid the Backdrop of Two Strikes

quote:
Netflix added millions of subscribers in the second quarter and saw a rise in revenue, the company said on Wednesday

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
They will see a drop of one subscriber next month.

They more than tripled the price and I'm not paying.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Given th number of new subscriptions, it was obviously a brilliant move.

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Mmm, stock price down 9% on the announcement. Market was expecting higher revenue and profit.

They say increase in subscriptions, but they also introduced a new ad tier that accounted for some of the increased revenue.

Well, the Sphinxes are through with Netflix. I’m finding that having fewer things to watch is a good thing. Prime (which we don’t watch much) plus HBO/Hulu (sharing one account) is plenty.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Netflix is the only one making money.

The Streaming Boom is Over.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post