well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Wordle starting words analyzed

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wordle starting words analyzed
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted
By NYT. 15 million games. This should take you to the reader version.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/1...d=120207040241260064

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13562 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Interesting list of first words. When I was doing Wordle more regularly I started with 'adieu' a lot. Guess it wasn't the best choice. Big Grin

Lately we've been stuck on Squaredle (thank you, jon-nyc). We do the daily one each morning and have been working our way through the various special puzzles, some of which have hundreds of words to find.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37960 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

I have a completely different strategy. My aim is always to solve, I don't care how many tries it takes me. So I *always* start with the same words, and aim to eliminate as many consonants and vowels as possible.

My starting words are
REALM
STICK
BOUGH

Then, I might do
PANDY
or
WINDY

depending on what I've got. Then I solve on the fifth try. Figuring out if I need a Y and eliminating as many consonants as possible works pretty well for me.

For the longest time, I had a 100% win rate, but a few times recently, I've messed up, so now my win rate is 99%.

I actually do this the same way with Dordle, Quordle and Octordle.

As you can imagine, this gets a little repetitive, so although I still do these (at breakfast), the ones I enjoy more these days are Connections and Strands (NYTs).

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18564 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Train
Stare
Stain
Share (worked well today)
Raise

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post