well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Curious Case of the Disappearing Nuts

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Curious Case of the Disappearing Nuts
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Kind of long but a good story:

The Curious Case of the Disappearing Nuts

quote:
In California, millions of dollars' worth of almonds, walnuts, and pistachios are disappearing. Farmers are perplexed, the cops are confused, and the crooks are getting richer.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Great joke in there somewhere.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13559 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Exactly. As I was opening the thread, I was thinking, "there are at least 3 things this post could be talking about..." Big Grin

It is an interesting article. For one thing, it highlights the low security in general, given the value of the nuts being stolen.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
At least it is not about Sumo wrestlers.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
CHAS, you lost me on that one.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
But if you read it it is an interesting article. Truckload property theft is a huge problem. There's a large black market, now pretty much in plain sight thanks to Craigslist and the like, of stuff that fell off the truck.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13559 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
CHAS, you lost me on that one.

Sumo wrestlers are supposedly trained from the age of nine to retract theirs.
It may be a myth. Don't think it matters in the grand scheme.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Ummm, you can retract them?

(Reminded of George's swimming in the lake in that Seinfeld episode, and Elaine's comment, "It shrinks"? ) Big Grin

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Ummm, you can retract them?

(Reminded of George's swimming in the lake in that Seinfeld episode, and Elaine's comment, "It shrinks"? ) Big Grin

Big Grin
Do I look like a Sumo wrestler?