well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Is Compulsory Race and Bias ‘Training’ Legal?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Compulsory Race and Bias ‘Training’ Legal?
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted
Is Compulsory Race and Bias ‘Training’ Legal?

Discuss and debate among yourselves.

Big Al

--------------------------------
Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7405 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I don't feel like this is a safe space for that discussion.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
This is the type of discussion that I find nearly impossible to have in an online environment.

But I have been having it with people IRL.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37894 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’ve stopped having this sort of discussion at all. It’s tedious at best, and accomplishes nothing.

Seems everyone is a lot smarter than I am so I let them do it.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34942 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Oh please.

Any subject can be taught badly, and it sounds like this instruction may have been poor.

There is no need to teach the conclusion (that white peoples are the oppressors or whatever). You can just stick to the undisputed historical facts about colonialism, slavery, internment, segregation, and modern white supremacy, and any student who can connect the dots gets an A.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
We've put forth a lot of bias training at my place of employment. Some of it us not so great, but the best basically lays out the historical and/or research basis for bias and avoids browbeating.

Example: we do a lot of hiring, and have our search committees participate in unconscious bias training. As part of that, they talk about research showing that the exact same resume but with an "ethnic" sounding name, will be scored lower on a scoring rubric than the same resume but with a non-ethnic name. Same with man v woman. End of story. It doesn't accuse anyone of overt racism/sexism, just says "hey, this is out there." People take it or leave it.

FWIW, we're also seeing a lot of companies removing names (and in some cases dates) from resumes before initial screening, and many companies are now doing initial phone interviews with the camera off--something that is a pandemic/lockdown side benefit. Similar to the blind audition process.

Is it perfect? nope. But I think it's an improvement.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post