well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    More comparison to China

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More comparison to China
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
China locked down Wuhan on 23-Jan. On 22-Jan, there were 571 cases and 17 deaths reported in all of China.

Even accounting for those early numbers being lowballed by the Party, they jumped on it HARD and early.

And it still overwhelmed their healthcare system.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
When do you think the governor of Washington State will act in King County?

I don't know the first thing about the guy or gal.

I could actually see Cuomo acting. I think he'd sorta like the attention of being ahead of the pack in taking decisive measures. I could be wrong about that.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
This is the goal of enforced social distancing:

China shut down Hubei with 571 reports cases. Say the real number was double that, triple, whatever.

And it still overwhelmed their healthcare system.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We already know that this virus is easily transmitted.

We already know that vulnerable populations are getting hit hard.

I think it's foolish to assume it's nothing and hope for the best and solve the problem later. You could well end up with an unsolvable problem. You want this to be like insurance. You pay the premiums and never use it.

People don't seem to get that you can't wait till you've confirmed that the CFR is through the roof before taking action. At the first signs that this virus is *potentially* more dangerous than usual, you have to act. That's what the Chinese did.

It's kind of like a carbon monoxide detector going off in your house in the middle of the night. You get out of the house and ask questions later.

I do think the hoarding the face masks, toilet paper, and hand sanitizer is kinda crazy. So is assuming that life should go on without changes.

We had a couple of cases in my town; 200 people are self-quarantining. We're making it a point to stick close to home, and I've been extra careful when I go shopping. Am I wearing a mask? No. But I am being super-fastidious with hand and phone cleaning. I had planned to go visit some old friends in the nursing home where my mom lived, but that will have to wait. It would be stupid to put them at risk.

Run fast, don't run scared.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post