well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Semantle

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Semantle
 Login/Join

Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted
Yes, yet another wordle knockoff. This time you are guessing a secret word based on how closely related it is to your guesses. I think the most interesting part is how they actually score how relevant words are to each other. The language processing algorithms behind that must be fascinating.

https://semantle.novalis.org/

Posts: 4402 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
OMG! this is hard!!!!!!!

I may have to cancel all my appointments and classes for the day...

suave

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18457 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
#88, 37 guesses.

It took me 22 guesses to get within 1000, 36 guesses to get within 100, then the 37th guess hit the bull’s eye.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Omg, at this rate I’ll be stuck and the dining room table all day doing word puzzles, haha!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20452 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
37 guesses for me (I'm actually Ax's sock puppet).

Got to 998/1000 in 12 guesses and then wandered around aimlessly for a while after that....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37892 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Omg, at this rate I’ll be stuck and the dining room table all day doing word puzzles, haha!

Big Grin

I haven't played wordle in ages and I never played worldle.

Is everyone else still playing all the games?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37892 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I think I was in the ballpark of 40 guesses, but I also used 3 hints. ETA: I just checked, it took me 48 guesses! Big Grin

I found myself feeling quite cross about the words that received very low scores even though they have at least one semantic meaning that was very close to other words that were scoring above 800.... Ole

BTW WTG, I do Wordle almost every day. I do the Spelling Bee a lot too.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18457 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Holy carp, that was hard.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20452 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I loved it. 27 guesses.

I do Wordle in bed each morning as a way to wake up. And I force myself to start with a new word, usually by just looking around the room for inspiration.

I start the NYT spelling bee most days, but I don't always finish. They are starting to look repetitive.

I like Dordle, but only when I am working hard to procrastinate.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Even more fun is doing Semantle with a buddy.

I did today's with Mr. Sphinx, and let's just say it was interesting to see how his mind works.

We were not a good team. It took us 143 guesses.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I tried Semantle 89 earlier this morning but for some reason I wasn't feeling very inspired *or* patient, so I asked for a hint after 20 guesses and then again in 15.

Then I gave up and went to the dentist to have my crown "installed".

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
I nailed today's Semantle #90 with 56 guesses.

Along the way, I "discovered" many quirks in Semantle's underlying database and the way Semantle is implemented. To avoid spoiling Semantle #90 for those who might still wish to attempt it, I am showing my "discoveries" in the separate .png file.

*** SPOILER ALERT ***
My road to solving Semantle #90: https://www.coffee-room.com/tm...remus-2022-04-28.png

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I still play Wordle and Worldle every day.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34941 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure I saw somewhere that if you are playing on a computer you can hit shift enter when entering a word and it will automatically try both the singular and the plural form with one guess.

Posts: 4402 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post