well-temperedforum.groupee.net
Krugman to the MMT crowd: no more Calvinball

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/6951090366

26 February 2019, 05:27 PM
jon-nyc
Krugman to the MMT crowd: no more Calvinball
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0...-on-mmt-wonkish.html

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

26 February 2019, 08:06 PM
Mikhailoh
Need a like button.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

26 February 2019, 08:39 PM
QuirtEvans
quote:
arguing with the MMTers generally feels like playing Calvinball, with the rules constantly changing: every time you think you’ve pinned them down on some proposition, they insist that you haven’t grasped their meaning.

That rings so true. Substitute certain names for MMTers, and I couldn't agree more.
26 February 2019, 08:42 PM
Piano*Dad
I like when Krugman actually writes clear economics.
27 February 2019, 12:38 AM
Horace
Ezra Klein on a recent podcast hosted a discussion between Stephanie Kelton, prominent MMT proponent, and Obama's economist Jason Furman. I didn't get much out of it but noted that Mr Furman was trying hard to contain his scorn and take the discussion seriously.

The rubber hits the road by identifying a)differences in policies advocated by the two views and b) differences in predictions of outcomes, given a policy. It should be possible to base a discussion on that, but this was not such a discussion.
27 February 2019, 07:33 AM
Daniel
Paul who?
27 February 2019, 07:57 AM
jon-nyc
Who said anything about Paul? This thread is about Jack.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

27 February 2019, 08:01 AM
Mikhailoh
OK, Calvin-NYC.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

27 February 2019, 10:12 AM
Daniel
MMT is a "thing". CLS is a "thing" too. *Shrugs*
27 February 2019, 10:34 AM
QuirtEvans
Climate change denial is a thing, too. Anti-vax is a thing. Believing that abortion is murder is a thing.

Some things are better than others.