well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    In today’s episode of “I didn’t know he was a Scientologist!?!”

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In today’s episode of “I didn’t know he was a Scientologist!?!”
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
Chick Corea.

I received Chick Corea’s Children’s Songs scorebook as a birthday gift (which, btw is the first time I’ve received sheet music as a gift, very cool!)

And at the front is a big ole dedication to L. Ron Hubbard. Eeker

Separate from that, I’m using the book for sightreading practice and it’s really cool!!!

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
One of the best, but seriously misguided.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I heard him pre-Covid, performing with Bela Fleck. They have been playing together for years.

Some of the pieces were "out there" a bit, and you could see some of the older folks in the audience who disappeared after intermission. Big Grin

They chuckled about it a bit at the beginning of the second set, saying it's a common feature of their concerts.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
They chuckled about it a bit at the beginning of the second set, saying it's a common feature of their concerts.

ROTFLMAO too funny!

This score book is super interesting. I would have never thought to purchase this for myself, and in general I think that sheet music isn't really something you can easily gift to someone else (unless maybe the giver is the piano teacher and the received is his/her student!) But this was an absolute awesome gift to receive!

But I did get a laugh at him being a Scientologist! smh

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO
Would love to go to an "out there" concert today.

Think I may try some of the online concerts being offered. Have avoided those that cost $.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Well, example:

Corea & Fleck

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
He played with the Oregon Symphony last year... his own version of Rhapsody in Blue, with his own conductor. It was easily in the top 5 of any concert I've ever been to, of any type. If you get the opportunity to hear him live, I highly recommend it.

But one funny note--you know how in the classical world there's this whole ritual of starting - the concertmaster comes out, orchestra tunes, the conductor, clap, clap, the soloist, clap, clap. Not Corea. They tuned then there was a bit of a lull and suddenly we realize that Corea (wearing Converse sneaks) is sort of meandering through the orchestra and chatting them up. At some point he meanders his way over to the bench and off they go. Big Grin

(Non-PC comment: it reminded me of those old SNL skits where Fred Armison played David Paterson and he would just sort of wander in/out of the camera range...)

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Well, example:

Corea & Fleck

Thank you

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post