well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    One Book, One Village 2019

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One Book, One Village 2019
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
This is the sixth annual book read for my town. I haven't read this year's book, but I hear it's quite good.

quote:
West Chicago native Kirk Wallace Johnson has been around the world, but he'll be back in the suburbs in two weeks as part of the Arlington Heights Memorial Library's One Book, One Village 2019 community read.

Johnson, the son of the late Illinois state legislator Tom Johnson, is a Fulbright Scholar who spent the early part of his adult life leading reconstruction efforts in war-torn Iraq. It was through his job with the U.S. Agency for International Development that he worked alongside and befriended Iraqis, who later became targets for their association with the U.S.

It prompted Johnson to start The List Project, an organization that helped resettle 2,500 Iraqis, including some in Wheaton and elsewhere in the Chicago area.

But Johnson says he also became burned out and depressed. Fly fishing became his escape.

A conversation with his guide one day as they fished the Red River in New Mexico provided the spark for what started as a hobby for Johnson and eventually turned into a completely different career path today as nonfiction author.

The guide told him the story of a 20-year-old American music student who broke into a London museum in 2009 and stole 299 dead birds so he could harvest their valuable feathers and sell them to fly-tiers.

Johnson became captivated by the tale and spent the next six years traveling the world in search of the missing birds and trying to infiltrate the underground fly-tying community. It led him to write "The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century" -- which was chosen in an Arlington Heights communitywide vote earlier this year for the sixth annual One Book, One Village program.

The true-crime thriller is only his second book -- after his memoirs detailing his Iraqi resettlement efforts -- and there are plans for it to be turned into a movie.

"The story in 'The Feather Thief' was so quirky," said Johnson, who now lives in Los Angeles. "I had a hunch the book would either sink like a stone because it was so niche, or it would break through because it was so strange.

"This is a story about obsession and the moral blind spots that emerge when your obsession kind of runs amok."

https://www.dailyherald.com/ne...-bird-theft-thriller

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post