well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    MIT reinstates SAT/ACT requirement

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MIT reinstates SAT/ACT requirement
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
"not having SATs/ACT scores to consider tends to raise socioeconomic barriers to demonstrating readiness for our education"

https://twitter.com/kph3k/stat...smFcz2opQTLRqRnqjvEg

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
our research shows students also need to do well in high school and have a strong match for MIT, including the resilience to rebound from its challenges, and the initiative to make use of its resources.

Interesting.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Their research and the internal validity studies from hundreds of other institutions. The tests are indeed part proxy for family income, but they also contain useful information about student skills and potential in certain environments. Used as part of a holistic evaluation, they help create good matches and help avoid matches that increase the likelihood of expensive (in money, time, and personal pain) failures.

Tech schools in particular need to know if students can do math and solve problems. Bombing out of MIT is a social waste that doesn't help anyone.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post