well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Trump Ineligible to Hold the Presidency

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trump Ineligible to Hold the Presidency
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
Say two professors in an upcoming Penn Law Review article

And they are in the Federalist Society!

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Constitutionalism FTW!

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
For Trump to be challenged he would have to be in office and then be challenged in the Supreme Court he packed.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Yeah. And the article suggests that a lot of things would have to fall in place.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Smerconish interview with Edward "Ned" Foley, Professor at Ohio State University and contributor to The Washington Post about the ineligibility issue...

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/...3504?i=1000624790443

Here are a couple of Foley's op-eds on the topic in WaPo:

https://www.washingtonpost.com...ce-than-prosecution/

https://www.washingtonpost.com...tutional-presidency/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Tribe and Luttig on section 3 of the 14th amendment...paywall...

https://www.theatlantic.com/id...d-presidency/675048/

eta: Non-paywall....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...nt-again/ar-AA1fu49R

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Why don’t these people ever ask the question “and then what?”

This would quickly become a precedent to the effect of “any properly placed official could deny the other party’s candidate presence on the ballot by unilaterally deciding that one or another act provided comfort to an enemy”.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
If that's the "and then what", then we don't have a functioning democracy any more.

If you cannot hold people in power responsible for what amounts to an attempted, half-hearted coup (they didn't ultimately seize the voting machines; the vice president didn't accept alternate slates of electors), you might as well not have a democracy at all. Because next time it won't be half-hearted. You think that willingness to toss out slates of electors won't be a precondition to Trump's VP selection this time?

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
No, he should not be on the ballot. Hopefully some states will follow the Constitution and leave him off, most won't.
What I saw earlier seemed to be focused on removing Trump if he won, or maybe that was my slant.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Coloradans file first suit to keep Trump off the ballot.

Maybe not the first suit. A suit was filed in Florida.