well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Tyrian purple

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tyrian purple
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Tyrian purple: The lost ancient pigment that was more valuable than gold

https://www.bbc.com/future/art...e-valuable-than-gold

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38010 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Fascinating story.

Posts: 12573 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I thought of jodi when I read the article...I imagined her ancestors who might have been in the ancient dye and pigments business... Big Grin

I also love it when there are ancient methods that we can't figure out. Instills a bit of humility.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38010 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
When I saw the story, I also thought of this one, about a fabric from the past that has disappeared.

Dhaka Muslin

Posts: 12573 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35001 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Color history is fascinating. Blues and purples were colors of royalty for a reason - ones with any sort of light fastness were extremely expensive and rare. Ultramarine Blue used to refer to the mineral Lapis Lazuli, until the chemical compound that made the color was synthesized - and then the synthesized color was called French Ultramarine. Now it’s just called Ultramarine Blue - it’s inexpensive, it’s lightfast, it’s non-toxic, and it’s a fantastic blue - I use it all the time. You can buy Lapis Lazuli pigment - but look at the cost. Eeker

Compared to the synthetic:

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20484 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/XNx3a6h70h0?si=20LEeYvpXJMkLkSw

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20484 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
And of course, in the southwest we have Navajo weaving with ...

Red from Cochineal

Only the most expensive weavings use the stuff today because the German synthetic dyes that arrived in the late 19th century were much cheaper and produced more vibrant color.

Cochineal Red: