well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Is there a lawyer in the house?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a lawyer in the house?
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
I have an IP question.

Let's say there is a comedian, Mister Raspberry, who has been performing since about 1970. As part of his persona, he wears a ridiculously wide, brightly colored tie. At his shows, he sold his silly ties in the lobby (although, they were just folded and stitched, there was no logo or label on the tie). To this day, even in semi-retirement, he wears his silly tie everywhere he goes.

He inspired a generation or two of followers.

Now, let's say someone is organizing a comedy show. Someone on the organizing committee wants something for the volunteers to wear to make them immediately identifiable as volunteers and officials running the show. Someone suggests, "hey, let's make a bunch of Mister Raspberry silly ties for the volunteers!" The ties would be similar to, but not identical to an actual Mister Raspberry tie. The event is not selling the ties, just making a bunch for the staff.

As an aside, there is a possibility that Mister Raspberry himself may attend the show, strictly as a member of the audience.

Does the event have an intellectual property, copyright, or trademark concern?

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30039 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
I have an IP question.

Let's say there is a comedian, Mister Raspberry, who has been performing since about 1970. As part of his persona, he wears a ridiculously wide, brightly colored tie. At his shows, he sold his silly ties in the lobby (although, they were just folded and stitched, there was no logo or label on the tie). To this day, even in semi-retirement, he wears his silly tie everywhere he goes.

He inspired a generation or two of followers.

Now, let's say someone is organizing a comedy show. Someone on the organizing committee wants something for the volunteers to wear to make them immediately identifiable as volunteers and officials running the show. Someone suggests, "hey, let's make a bunch of Mister Raspberry silly ties for the volunteers!" The ties would be similar to, but not identical to an actual Mister Raspberry tie. The event is not selling the ties, just making a bunch for the staff.

As an aside, there is a possibility that Mister Raspberry himself may attend the show, strictly as a member of the audience.

Does the event have an intellectual property, copyright, or trademark concern?

I have a very clear answer, and I’m certain it’s right:

I don’t know.

Posts: 45778 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I appreciate and respect anyone who uses those three little words.

I used to have Mister Raspberry's e-mail addy. I can't find it. I have his phone number. I am going to try to call him later today.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I’m not a lawyer, but if you aren’t selling them, I can’t see why there would be an issue? You are allowed to dress up in costume as anybody you like.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20485 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Jodi - imagine a conference handing out knock-off Disney characters to all their attendees. Pretty easy to imagine getting a nasty letter from a Disney attorney at a minimum.

To the original question, I agree fully with Quirt on this. Calling the guy seems to be the right way to go.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33808 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Jodi - imagine a conference handing out knock-off Disney characters to all their attendees. Pretty easy to imagine getting a nasty letter from a Disney attorney at a minimum.

To the original question, I agree fully with Quirt on this. Calling the guy seems to be the right way to go.

Yep on all counts.

Posts: 45778 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Mister Raspberry answered my text haling him. I sent him the question. I'm waiting patiently for a response.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Well, I have a series of texts. Mister Raspberry says "you can't copyright clothing" (not sure the New York fashion designers would agree), and he borrowed the original from another source. He said he still has the "rights" to sell them at shows, but he's totally cool with us making some for our staff. He even sent me the dimensions and a few pictures.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Nice. He sounds like a cool guy.

Posts: 35388 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Nice of you to call him. Glad he said yes!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20485 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:

But Disney is a corporation and corporations are by definition (according to some), greedy. Mister Raspberry, on the other hand, probably has a conscience.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10579 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
This is a perfect outcome, and it’s based on person to person contact. I love it. Have fun with your event!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
quote:

But Disney is a corporation and corporations are by definition (according to some), greedy. Mister Raspberry, on the other hand, probably has a conscience.
And a sense of humor -- something corporations (or at least corporate lawyers) seem to lack.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com