well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Biggest data leak ever

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biggest data leak ever
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Even if you’re super careful online, your personal and financial information can be exposed in a data breach. Sometimes though, hackers compile credentials and information from past breaches and put it all together to make it easier to use in their attacks.

As reported by Cybernews, this is exactly what happened with a new, supermassive Mother of all Breaches (MOAB) which contains 26 billion records or 13 terabytes of data taken from previous leaks, breaches and hacked databases. In a recent investigation alongside cybersecurity researcher Bob Dyachenko, the news outlet discovered all of these exposed records on an open instance.

While the owner of all this stolen data may never be identified, Cybernews’ security researchers believe they could be a hacker, a data broker or even some other service that works with large amounts of data.

Even though this MOAB doesn’t appear to be made up of new data, you could still be at risk online as a result. Here’s everything you need to know about this new data leak and how to see if you’re affected.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news...-ever-what-to-do-now

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
The Tom's Guide article also links to a "data leak checker" website that checks if a given phone number or email address has been "leaked."

https://cybernews.com/personal-data-leak-check/

I found one of my email addresses and a couple of my phone numbers have been leaked. Not really worried, of course, because I did not really expect those email address and phone numbers to remain "private" anyway. Note that if you want to use that utility to check your phone number, you need to include the country code for the check to be effective.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post