well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The most prolific serial killer in US history just died

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The most prolific serial killer in US history just died
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
And I had never heard of him.

Am I the only one? Samuel Little. Proven 60 killed, confessed to 93.

https://www.washingtonpost.com.../samuel-little-dies/

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I hadn't.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
A disturbing story.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
A disturbing story.

The most disturbing aspect of it for me, is that he recalled almost all details of his victims - appearance including clothing, make and year of car (hers/his), dates, height and weight, where he disposed of the body...

He even drew a colored portrait of each one, according to which some were recognized. Sick, sick, sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UsNEy5bK50

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
FTR I discovered researching this story, that a British family doctor was found to have killed around 250 of his patients. (He got his degree explicitly to have access to lethal drugs)

Harold SHipman

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Not a category in which I would have expected the US to have come in second.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Was recently reading about the decline in serial killers, (and the possible reasons why). Technology (easier to call for help, more likely to know when somebody is missing) and forensics. Catching them earlier. Kind of fascinating.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I think it's interesting how unknown he was. I suspect it's because he was caught and prosecuted as an 'everyday' murderer and the other murders only become known over time.

The most known are those who cause fear before they're caught. Like Ted Bundy and his college girls. Or the DC snipers.

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Also important to note who his "prey" was. The poor and down-and-out, who are far less likely to draw public attention when they disappear, and who are far less likely to receive full police attention (for long) when their disappearance is actually reported.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
60 Minutes did an interview with him a while back, so I had heard of him. What was spooky were his drawings of his victims.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/6...93-women-2019-10-04/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
60 Minutes did an interview with him a while back, so I had heard of him. What was spooky were his drawings of his victims.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/6...93-women-2019-10-04/

Interview including this (and many other factoids ) right above in my first post.

I find his memory of every single detail of the victims (NOT just name and portrait!) horribly fascinating. Clearly these murders were the highlights of his life. Somehow I doubt he could remember the name of a single elementary or high school teacher or fellow student.

Example: the first victim he describes in the interview ("Her height?" 5' 7, maybe 5' ' 6". "Her weight?" "135, maybe 140") Every detail he was asked, was answered without hesitation:

Her person, her clothing, her life details, the exact setting where the murder and body disposal occurred, precisely when it happened ("1972")

Remember, this particular questioning occurred almost 50 years later- when he was almost 80! He never faltered. Clearly, a man born with this unique and terrible genius. He must have been looking forward to this confession his whole life. (I've read that many unsolved murders are uncovered because the murderer simply can't resist bragging about them.)

Makes me wonder with horrified speculation, when he began his murders and what his childhood was like,

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
If it’s the same guy, I remember reading an interview with a detective who coaxed Little into sharing details and portraits of his victims even though doing so would not benefit Little in the least since he was already sentenced to life without a chance at parole.

I’ll have to see if I can find that again.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post