well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Whatcha doin' for Thanksgiving?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whatcha doin' for Thanksgiving?
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
We have finally concluded that no one in the house likes turkey. I bought some really good chicken breasts from a local butcher. We will have all the usual Thanksgiving sides (that is, carbfest) and a few token vegetables.

It will be Mrs pj, DD, and myself. And the cats.

We will probably spend the balance of the day watching movies. Mrs pj seems to be leaning toward a Steve Martin marathon. Last night we watched Roxanne. I think that kicked it off.

We've also been watching Travels with My Father on Netflix. I like it. A bit cringey at times. The camerawork is good.

When we can't decide what to watch, our default is Bake Off.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
We will pick up dinner at a restaurant we like at 4:30 pm.
We will heat it and eat it tomorrow.
Then maybe football, soccer, and a trike ride.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
We're in the not huge fans of turkey club as well. When it's just Mr. Nina and I, we usually go out for oysters (at least there's a chance that a pilgrim ate one, unlike say cranberry sauce).

But we are having festivities on Friday (delayed due to various scheduling issues) with a portion of the kid crowd who *do* like turkey, so I will be making a turkey and filling up on the side dishes. Smiler

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It's just the two of us. Well, three of us if you count Raffi.

We all love turkey.

Everyday at the wtg house is a holiday.

We had our turkey today, Thanksgiving Eve. Plus gravy, stuffing, Brussels sprouts, and homemade cranberry relish.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
My brother's house. Thankfully we are having prime rib. Our assignment was cookies so I baked Orange-Cranberry-Macadamia-White Chocolate ones this morning and MFR just baked some fantastic snickerdoodles.

Oh, that and swabbing our brains with COVID tests.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Going to Kim's in-laws house. Her MIL Jane is a most excellent cook in true midwest fashion.

I'll be bring Cindy's cranberry sauce. It's sure to be a hit! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Going to my sister-in-law Debi's and her husband's house. A small event this year, just the two of them, me, my wife, and two of our children, and one cousin. I know turkey is on the menu because I listened to a discussion over it. My wife is baking a pie with butternut squash subbing for pumpkin and some maple/squash rolls. I know one of my daughters is making cranberry sauce. I anticipate a couple of customary side dishes.

It's a lot different from the Thanksgivings I remember from my childhood. They were held at a local Grange hall and there were 70-80 relatives present. Tables groaned with food that everyone brought and we ate large portions of it but never all of it.

After eating, the adults would socialize while the children went upstairs to play in the large open area there. Truly, the good old days.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Oldest's in-laws do it up. He is the cook with a big, messy kitchen that smells so good. I am going there with a side dish and flowers.

I had Tday with them the year after my marriage imploded. Shorty and I attended and it was one of their bigger Tdays with more then 20. It was wonderful. We felt so loved. Yes

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
If you are doing a Steve Martin-a-thon, watch Only Murders in the Building on Hulu. A very well done series.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
If you are doing a Steve Martin-a-thon, watch Only Murders in the Building on Hulu. A very well done series.

Quirt just wanted to give you a shout out for the Tday's we have had together. They were wonderful. Smiler

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
It's just the two of us this year, so we ordered takeout from a restaurant that was doing a traditional meal--turkey, dressing, green beans, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, pumpkin and pecan pie. We'll pick it up just before noon, warm it in the oven, and enjoy a feast without cleanup.

I'll miss cooking things my way with a kitchen full of extended family, but there will be no cleanup. Woot (Did I already say that?) And the extended family is coming later. My sister arrives Saturday for a week and Muffin's Sister is bringing three grandboys--my long-established grandsons and my new bonus grandson--to visit on Wednesday for a long weekend. I have a big birthday ending in zero next week, so they elected to visit for that instead of Thanksgiving. And I'm thankful that they're coming.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
There will be 9 of us at mom's house. Most boosted except for the new baby - our son and his husband just adopted a little boy a couple of weeks ago!

Mom still is happy to handle the turkey and sweet 'taters thrown in the oven. Every one else brings something to share.

Heading out for a walk soon, then off to tune a piano in a church. Not only is this a busy tuning season because of holidays, but as the heat comes on in buildings, the humidity really drops and the tuning shifts...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Man plans, God laughs.

Not going to Thanksgiving - MFR started a low fever last night and doesn't feel great.

Now we have about a million cookies.

We both got tested yesterday, both negative, so I doubt it's COVID. Just fever and a bit of malaise. No congestion or coughing and taste and smell are normal.

She told me to go ahead and go, but there's no way I would do that.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Bummer. Hopefully she's feeling better soon.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Thanks. She's not terribly ill, up and watching the parade. Just had a snickerdoodle.

I may run to the store and pick up a turkey breast.