well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Tomorrow could get pretty ugly
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tomorrow could get pretty ugly
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Limits on S&P futures were triggered a little while ago as the price dropped 5%. 10-year Treasury bond yields dropped to .5%.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...bs-at-5?srnd=premium

And oil is tanking, too...

quote:
Oil prices crashed and U.S. equity futures plunged at the open Monday in Asia after crude producers launched a price war, an additional disruption to a global economy already struggling thanks to the coronavirus.

Among the tumultuous moves to kick off the week:

Crude plummeted more than 30% at one point, sliding the most since the Gulf War in 1991
Futures on the S&P 500 Index -- which face trading curbs if they move by 5% -- cratered as much as 4.6%
Norway’s krone slid to its weakest against the dollar since the 1980s. Mexico’s peso fell as much as 6%, to the weakest since the aftermath of border-wall advocate President Donald Trump taking office
Australian and New Zealand 10-year government bond yields hit fresh record lows
Australia’s benchmark stock index plunged the most since 2008
The yen soared to its strongest since 2016

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...ts-wrap?srnd=premium

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37966 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
And just for good measure, the North Koreans fired a couple of "unidentified projectiles" today.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37966 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
On the plus side, you can probably get a great rate on a mortgage right now.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...offers-bargain-loans

Bazootiehead-in-training

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'm in the process of doing some refinancing. Silver lining.

I'll just have to wait three years until my portfolio recovers ...

Posts: 12547 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
″$20 oil in 2020 is coming,” Ali Khedery, a former U.S. official in Iraq and onetime Middle East expert with Exxon, wrote on Twitter. “Huge geopolitical implications. Timely stimulus for net consumers. Catastrophic for failed/failing petro-kleptocracies Iraq, Iran, etc. — may prove existential 1-2 punch when paired with COVID19.”

Interesting times. This could lead to convulsions in many nations (Iran, Russia, other petro-kleptocracies).

Posts: 12547 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
German bund yields go negative, to -1%.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing circuit breakers kick in today. SPDR S&P500 is down almost 8%.

Circuit breaker explanation here (scroll down the page for details):

https://www.nyse.com/markets/nyse/trading-info

edit: At the open, indices were generally down about 7%.

Occidental Petroleum down 40%; Exxon Mobil down 14%.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
First circuit breaker just kicked in.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I haven't looked at my 401(k) or IRA balances in over a month. I think I shall not now.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It's good to be aware. We have been keeping in touch and we just received a very large rollover check that we need to invest somewhere within 60 days. I'm hoping that we will be close enough to the bottom by then to buy in with it.

This is not like 2008-9 and I think will bounce back much faster. There's gold in them thar ills - if you survive.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13564 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
pj - Good idea.

Things are stable for now, down a little over 5%.

Days like this remind me of Black Monday in October 1987. I was at the CME and went down to the trading floor just before the close. After the bell rang, I saw a lot of guys like this, just sitting on the steps with their heads in their hands.

Sobering. But we survived.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I remember 1987 quite well. But that was a crash without the fundamentals of this correction. That crash was one of those proverbial events where the stock market predicts nine of the last five recessions.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yea, it's a different beast now. As someone noted this morning, both supply and demand sides are affected. Plus central banks have almost nowhere to go (witness the reaction to last week's Fed rate cut). Throw in the oil thing plus the uncertainty of coronovirus.

My "we survived" remark was probably a bit Monty Pythonesque:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Wx230gYJw

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The only thing that's up is the CBOE VIX.

Leaving

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Heard him this morning. Worth hearing what he has to say:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/0...-bottom-reached.html

Bazootiehead-in-training