well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Lutefisk

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lutefisk
 Login/Join

Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted
I’ve been invited to a holiday dinner at a former coworker’s house. One of the courses being served is lutefisk. I’ve never tasted lutefisk before. I know that it’s cod that’s been soaked in lye which is poisonous but the lye is rinsed off before consumption.

My question is: So how safe is it to eat lutefisk? Of course, I don’t have to eat it. Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a supermarket carry it. Could it be because supermarkets are afraid of liability lawsuits if someone gets ill so they don’t carry it? Even if the cod is rinsed off, you can’t get all the lye out. Surely some of the lye was absorbed into the cod’s tissues.

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I’ve never eaten lutefisk, so I can’t answer your question, but I can understand your concern! I had fugu (blowfish) once, which is also poisonous if not prepared right. I don’t know that I’d eat it again…

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18576 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The cod isn't just rinsed, it's soaked for several days, maybe four or five. It brings down the pH of the fish and makes it (theoretically) edible. I've never had it, so I can't comment on how it tastes. Some of these fish dishes sound awful, but are actually quite good. A Door County fish boil comes to mind!

I doubt that a liability issue prevents markets from selling it. It's a specialty food item with the target audience being people of Scandinavian descent. I haven't heard of any Minnesotans biting the dust after eating lutefisk...

I'm guessing there's probably someplace in Andersonville where you can buy the preserved cod at a market, or get the prepared lutefisk, at a restaurant.

A Chicago lutefisk story:

https://www.chicagotribune.com...-20111222-story.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37966 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I haven't heard of any Minnesotans biting the dust after eating lutefisk

This is an important detail. Several people die in Japan every year from eating blowfish, usually when it’s been prepared at home or by someone without a license. (Japanese law specifies that only those certified can prepare and serve it). Although every now and then you’ll hear of someone dying after eating it prepared by a licensed chef.

I don’t think this is an issue with lutefisk.

Posts: 18576 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Here's a FB post from Tre Kronor, a Swedish restaurant in the aforementioned Andersonville. Looks like at least a few years ago, lutefisk was part of their holiday Julbord menu.

https://www.facebook.com/TreKr...s/10158701382398486/

So I'd say go for it! And let us know what you thought of it!

eta: BTW, lye isn't poisonous, it's a strong base that burns flesh if it’s sufficiently concentrated. This Wiki entry talks about its use in food, along with other uses like cleaning. Guess you could compare it to vinegar. There are 10 percent cleaning vinegars, and the 5 percent version we all use for cooking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lye

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37966 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
lye isn't poisonous

I guess I didn’t realize that.

QL, you shouldn’t it!! WhoMe

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
SK,

Isn't there a farmed Fugu that doesn't have the deadly toxins in the liver?

Maybe it's no fun to eat the "tame" variety. Maybe the whole point is playing Japanese roulette!

Posts: 12547 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
P*D, I’ve never heard of that, and neither has Mr. SK. That doesn’t mean much though! Although he did point out that there are so many different kinds of subvarieties of fish that it wouldn’t be surprising.

I’m sure part of it is the danger, at least for many people.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Farmed fugu. I had no idea.

https://thefishsite.com/articl...ugu-farming-in-japan

I’d still rather take a chance on the lutefisk. Big Grin

Bazootiehead-in-training

Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
Lysol = Lyesol? So that’s where the name Lysol came from. LOL. Lye is sodium hydroxide and It’s used both in Lysol disinfectant and lutefisk in different concentrations. For lutefisk, it’s more water than lye.

I’ll decide when I get there whether or not I want to be an adventurous eater concerning the lutefisk although I’m sure everything will be fine.

According to wiki:

“Sodium hydroxide is lye, or caustic soda, used in homemade soap and professional products.”

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Lye is used in the processing of many different foods, including olives, ramen noodles, and hominy. From the Wiki:

quote:
Lyes are used to cure many types of food, including the traditional Nordic lutefisk, olives (making them less bitter), canned mandarin oranges, hominy, lye rolls, century eggs, pretzels, candied pumpkins, and bagels. They are also used as a tenderizer in the crust of baked Cantonese moon cakes, in "zongzi" (glutinous rice dumplings wrapped in bamboo leaves), in chewy southern Chinese noodles popular in Hong Kong and southern China, and in Japanese ramen noodles. Lye provides the chrisp glaze on heard pretzels. It's used in kutsinta, a type of rice cake from the Philippines together with pitsi-pitsî.[2] In Assam, north east India, extensive use is made of a type of lye called khar in Assamese and karwi in Boro which is obtained by filtering the ashes of various banana stems, roots and skin in their cooking and also for curing, as medicine and as a substitute for soap. Lye made out of wood ashes is also used in the nixtamalization process of hominy corn by the tribes of the Eastern Woodlands in North America.

I'd try it. I may not like it but I have confidence that it won't kill me.

That which doesn't kill me...

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34976 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
If you like ammonia, you'll like lutefisk.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13564 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
All things lutefisk:

https://www.mashed.com/197530/...actually-taste-like/

Bazootiehead-in-training