well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Articles on AI
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Articles on AI
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
AI has been used in medicine for quite some time. Many mammograms are read, at least in part, by a bot. I wouldn't be surprised to find that other visual screenings have similar setups.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Using AI, scientists find a drug that could combat drug-resistant infections

The machine-learning algorithm identified a compound that kills Acinetobacter baumannii, a bacterium that lurks in many hospital settings.

https://news.mit.edu/2023/usin...placement=newsletter

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
https://arstechnica.com/tech-p...rifies-its-accuracy/

quote:
Federal judge: No AI in my courtroom unless a human verifies its accuracy

Judge wary of AI "hallucinations," says it isn't acceptable for legal briefing.

For now, I think it’s a good rule.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12696 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Good move on the judge's part. Here's a good reason why...

quote:
Starr's order came after New York-based lawyer Steven Schwartz admitted that he used ChatGPT to help write court filings that cited six nonexistent cases invented by the artificial intelligence tool. Schwartz and his associates are awaiting possible punishments from Judge Kevin Castel of US District Court for the Southern District of New York.

In what Castel called "an unprecedented circumstance," the judge said filings from the plaintiff's lawyers included six "bogus judicial decisions with bogus quotes and bogus internal citations." The filings included names of made-up cases and a series of "excerpts" from bogus rulings that cited additional fake precedents invented by AI.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Authors file a lawsuit against OpenAI for unlawfully ‘ingesting’ their books

Mona Awad and Paul Tremblay allege that their books, which are copyrighted, were ‘used to train’ ChatGPT because the chatbot generated ‘very accurate summaries’ of the works

https://www.theguardian.com/bo...ngesting-their-books

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
h/t LuFim's Dad

https://futurism.com/sports-il...ai-generated-writers

Article on well known publications printing AI generated articles with fake author's headshots without disclosing the fact that they are AI-generated. When confronted, the publisher just scrub the articles or reattribute the content to different fake authors.

Publications called out by name include the Sports Illustrated, TheStreet, CNET, BankRate, The Gizmodo, the A.V. Club, BuzzFeed, USA Today "and other Gannett newspapers."

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12696 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
It's intriguing to consider the "revolutions" most of us have lived through - Computers, personal computing, internet, social media, and now - AI.

When I was a young person, I hated when Johnny Carson would joke that his VCR was blinking 12:00 - indicating he was incapable of programming the VCR. I never saw the humor in it.

Ebay is now offering AI to help write ads. It's quite helpful. At this point in time, AI needs some supervision - but like all of the innovations before, it is here to stay and will upend our world.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing AI used to produce recordings. Most of the recording software is numbingly complex. As more functionality is added, complexity increases dramatically. AI can help eliminate some of that.

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I was a young person, I hated when Johnny Carson would joke that his VCR was blinking 12:00 - indicating he was incapable of programming the VCR. I never saw the humor in it.

To this point... I am in my 50s now and working in a university setting, students are quite young of course, but faculty members are of various age groups of course. I have always made it a point to stay on top of tech updates, being sure to be comfortable with new research tools and teaching tech, online apps used by the university, tech tools that students might use etc. Besides making my job easier, I figured that if I kept up with incremental updates and upgrades, it wouldn't be difficult to ensure that I wouldn't get behind.

But if I resisted new tools and didn't keep up, at some point, I would be so behind that it would be impossible to get caught up and I wouldn't know how to use any of the tools that my students were using. At that point, I would be the "can't program my VCR" punchline. So it's kind of funny that that was the image I had of what I wanted to avoid, and it's the very thing you mentioned here.

Anyway, my plan has worked for the most part. At some point, my colleagues started seeing me as the tech expert and the person to ask with all manner of questions. (they often overestimated what I know, but I am generally able to solve their tech problems!)

At this point, I feel that being tech savvy is almost an antidote to irrelevance for older workers, esp in a university setting.

There's a lot I don't know about generative AI, but since I had already been closely following developments with machine translation and things like automated speech recognition, it hasn't been that hard to keep up. I found myself on a panel for an AI-roundtable -- which I really didn't want to do at first but in the end, I learned a lot and am glad I did it.

That experience led me to do an AI project with one of my classes this semester, which I initially had some misgivings about, but it was really well-received and the students said they learned a lot from it.

Which is all to say, I agree with your take kluurs. Being clueless about a new technology is nothing to brag about, and not going to benefit someone in the long run. We don't necessarily have to embrace genAI (I am not, not at this point anyway) but we do need to do our best to keep up with it and understand it.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18580 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Christ prefigured and the demons of AI

"This is an excerpt from the forthcoming Peterson, J.B. (2024). We who wrestle with God. New
York: Penguin Random House, an extended investigation into the meaning of the Biblical
corpus.
I shared it with Elon Musk (November 25), who agreed to publicize its existence through his
account on X."

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25720 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
The New Yorker has a very good article on AI--I think it is in the Nov 20th issue. A recent issue, anyway.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21353 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
The New Yorker has a very good article on AI--I think it is in the Nov 20th issue. A recent issue, anyway.

Is it this one?

https://www.newyorker.com/maga...ng-the-ai-revolution

Posts: 18580 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The November 20th issue is titled "The A.I. Issue". There are several AI-related articles in it, including one that I posted recently.

https://well-temperedforum.gro...903907897#2903907897

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ah yes, I read the coding one but not others.