well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Got an old computer sitting around?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got an old computer sitting around?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
I revived three ancient computers with ChromeOS Flex, and you can too

Don't throw out your old PC; breathe new life into it with the sustainable and accessible Linux for everyone. It's easier than you think.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/...lex-and-you-can-too/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I do have a desktop in a box hanging around...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I'm still using my 2008 laptop running Win7. It is infinitely upgradeable, everything on it is replaceable. I've recently added more RAM and a 3 TB SSD. The only issue is Win7 is the optimal OS for this machine because the processor is dual core and that can't be upgraded. So I stay off the internet with it, and do all my web browsing on my tablet.

I do using it to write, and I've recently been trying out a writing program called Scrivener using my husband's laptop, which runs Win11. Unfortunately Scrivener isnt available for Win7 so now I am cautiously investigating upgrading my circa 2008 x200 ThinkPad's OS to Win10. People do it. It's just monkeying with a good thing, though, IMO.

Oh, and Scrivener isn't available for Linux, or that would definitely be my solution. Linux is brilliant on the old ThinkPads.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21347 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
[off topic]
@piqué, thanks for bringing up Scrivener.
I looked it up and I am impressed!

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post