well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Choosing a roof color?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Choosing a roof color?
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
As for material selection, I suggest you consider Owens Corning “Duration” shingles.

I see they have two cool roof options.

We have "Duration" shingles on our house and shed. They seem to be holding up quite well after almost 10 years.

Unfortunately, their cool roof shingles are only available in California.

Big Al

--------------------------------
Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7407 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The Owens Corning website says they have 90% market share of the the professional roofer market.

Hard to believe but maybe they do!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34951 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Lucky you!

My roof is on its last legs.

It never leaks because the shingles and insulation were apparently decorative in function.

I have to collect little pieces of Styrofoam on the ground when the winds goes to about 20 mph.

I mitigate this somewhat by keeping the gutters clean.

They have a tendency to build up dirt and grow weeds.

Had I the money to replace it I'd remodel the bathroom instead.

Good luck, SK.

Posts: 24720 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have "Duration" shingles on our house and shed. They seem to be holding up quite well after almost 10 years.

Big Al, that's good to know! I'm surprised the cool ones are more widely available. I'll ask the roofers just in case though.

Steve,
quote:
The Owens Corning website says they have 90% market share of the the professional roofer market.

I missed that detail. That's crazy!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18475 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Just read an article discussing the economics of roof shingles. Consensus was that installing 40 year shingles is a waste of money if you’re in an area where insurance companies won’t cover 20 year old roofs.

Turns out that this policy varies widely by area and insurance company. You may have coverage today but may not be able to renew next year. Hail and hurricanes will destroy a 40 year shingle just as quickly as a 25 year roof and if you are in an area prone to such things a 50 year shingle probably isn’t worth the extra cost.

Flip side is that in other areas the 40 year roof might be a good choice because it’s likely to keep working after insurance won’t cover it. Premium roofs come with manufacturers warranties that might cover the roof in some circumstances but usually not hail.

It’s complicated.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34951 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post