well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Why the New Variants Are More Contagious

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why the New Variants Are More Contagious
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45838 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
If I can find the link I will attach it here, but there was another intruiging article about where the mutations are coming from, physiologically speaking.

The researchers found some suggestion that immunocompromised people may be associated with the mutations. The logic is this: for non-immunocompromised people, their bodies are able to attack and ultimately destroy the virus in short order. But for immunocompromised (which include the "long haulers"), the virus isn't successfully cleared from the body in the usual 10-14 days, giving the individual virus more time to mutate rather than be destroyed by a more highly functioning immune system.

While mutations are spontaneous, their ability to be viable requires a host.

I thought that was interesting.

Here's a brief, readable analysis

Posts: 35427 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post