well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A vaccine is now available, so I went ahead and got it.
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A vaccine is now available, so I went ahead and got it.
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted
Well, not actually a Covid vaccine, but this is sort of Covid related.

I popped in to get my flu shot, and as I usually do, I asked about the availability of the shingles vaccine.The last two times I had asked, the supply was back ordered with no set time when it would be available.
I was told they had an ample supply, basically since nobody’s been getting the shot to speak of since the quarantine.

So, I went ahead and got both a flu shot and a shingrix. My shinGrix arm hurts like hell…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!
I went to get a flu shot at Walgreen's. There was a family of four ahead of me. The new person taking their information seemed to be incompetent from where I was.
After waiting a social distance behind them for 20 minutes, they all crowded at the register yet again. I left.
May try again later.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, I went ahead and got both a flu shot and a shingrix. My shinGrix arm hurts like hell…

Yeah, it tends to do that. Said from experience.

Posts: 12544 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Shingles hurts like hell too - speaking from experience.

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I have had both Shingles and shinGrix...I will take the shots any time..

The first one did give me a flu like feeling the day or so after, but the second was fine.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:

Yeah, I’m usually like a caricatures of a guy avoiding going to doctors. But I’ve seen a couple people close to me with shingles, and I’ve been pretty clear that I do not wish to get that.

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I got the series of two Shingrix shots last year. The first one knocked me on my keister for a week. My arm hurt so much I could barely lift it, then several days of flu-like symptoms. The second one was similar but not quite as severe -- still spent three days in bed.

But I hear even two weeks in bed is much better than the disease.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
Actually, spending three days in bed would not represent that much of a lifestyle change for me currently…

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
Actually, spending three days in bed would not represent that much of a lifestyle change for me currently…

Who's the lucky lady?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Ugh.

I need to get the shingles shot, but either it wasn't available or I wasn't available to have my arm hurting.

Then Covid hit. And now I am afraid to tweak my immune system in any way for any reason so I will have maximum horsepower in case it needs to fight off Covid.

And no, this is not the year for me to bust out with a flu shot. No way.

Besides, all of this mask wearing and social distancing ought to be plenty adequate to protect me from the flu given that I never got the flu despite being mashed onto mass transit every day.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
i hesitate to get the shingles vaccine, based on the many reports i've read about the aftermath.

i've had shingles twice. both times i wasn't even aware that i had it. the first time it was discovered during a routine chiropractic appointment. the second time i was sure i'd gotten bedbug bites at a hotel. i happened to be getting my annual physical the next day and my doc assured me that wasn't what the problem was.

i do have one friend who got it in his eye and was partially blinded. i've heard of grandmas in perpetual pain. wondering if i just have a strong immune system and shouldn't worry about it, or if a much worse episode could be in store for me if i don't get vaccinated.

???

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21352 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
From the CDC website:

quote:
Repeat episodes:
Multiple episodes of herpes zoster can occur, but the precise incidence of recurrence is not known. Most people have only one episode of herpes zoster in their lifetime.

https://www.cdc.gov/shingles/h...inical-overview.html

And a pre-Shingrix study summarized by WebMD:

https://www.webmd.com/skin-pro...es-recurrence-is-low

With your multiple bouts, you'd be an interesting case to study further, pique.

Maybe you should consider taking up Tai Chi:

https://www.nih.gov/news-event...nsored-study-reports

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Glad you got the shingles shot. Hope others will. Had the shingles 2 yrs ago. Sick sick sick and still have problems. Drive me crazy itch in my ear every night. Teeth on one side often ache and lip irritation. 2 yrs later. Better than it was but stilll.

Get the shots!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:

I had an exceedingly mild case, and it wiped me out for many months.

Ken, do you know whether people who have already had shingles are supposed to get the vaccine or not? I've heard it's rare but possible to get shingles a second time, which would be no fun at all.

Posts: 45754 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:

Who's the lucky lady?

Well, it wouldn’t be right to give you all the lurid details. But I can tell you, remarkably enough, that this quarantine has not caused ANY change in the flow of women through my bachelor pad...