well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Top chefs and their favorite cheeses

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top chefs and their favorite cheeses
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
edit: Rats. Most of the cheeses are either a) unavilable or b) only available from the other side of the Atlantic.

But there a few you can actually get here...

quote:
You don’t have to forsake Stilton, manchego or camembert. But if you want to spice up your cheese plate or impress a host, we have a few suggestions to help you get creative.

Bloomberg asked top chefs from around the world to pick out their favorite under-the-radar cheeses. Here’s what they had to say. (Click on the cheese names for links to shops where you can find them.)

https://getpocket.com/explore/...heir-favorite-cheese

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I LOVE cheese!

I'd give (almost) anything to take a culinary tour of these cheeses.

(And to think it would be allowed on my keto diet!) ThumbsUp

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
We have something in common, Amanda. I really enjoy cheeses and am happy to see more restaurants in my area offering a cheese or charcuterie appetizer on their menus. What I have yet to see is the cheese as the finale to a meal that I was accustomed to in France.

Nonetheless, there are an increasing variety of both domestically produced and imported cheeses available. Even my local supermarket has a fairly large specialty cheese section. There are also some local makers that have some very fine cheeses. One that comes immediately to mind is Goat Rodeo.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7412 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Will have to look for a couple of those around here. One of the things I really miss about Ann Arbor is Zingerman's. Fantastic, fresh cheeses.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I just tried Kerrygold Skellig sweet Irish cheddar for the first time. Really good and even better with a little fresh salsa!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Should ask top chefs about their favorite canned fruits and canned vegetables. Those are usually more healthy, more affordable, and more available to the malnourished.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I don't think Bloomberg readers will get too excited about canned fruits and vegetables.

But for me? REAL San Marzano tomatoes, hearts of palm, peaches.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Just happened to be going by Dorothy Lane Market while furniture shopping.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Have you tried the cheese yet?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Not yet. But I did have a little Jeni’s Pineapple Upside Down Cake, a new flavor. Ambrosia.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The Splendid Table podcast this week is all about cheese, including a piece on the National Cheese Monger Competition. They judge in several categories including identifying cheese by smell, cheese wrapping, cheese pairings and more. ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Coupole is delicious. Kind of like goat Brie.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update. Sounds like something I'd like. I'll definitely be on the lookout for it!

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Whole Foods I am told. I got mine at Dorothy Lane Market.