well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    An Honest Mechanic

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An Honest Mechanic
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Sharon's car is a 10 year old Mazda and has 130K miles. It's been bulletproof since we bought it but the transmission started shuddering violently between 1200 and 1500 RPM. Uh-oh - not good. I really don't want to put a new transmission in that car and I want a new car even less.

Asked around about mechanics as the local Mazda dealer is next to worthless - they don't answer the phone and the mailbox is full. VeryAngry Everyone recommended Ray's and a look at reviews shows why - hundreds of reviews and 5 stars! That's unheard of for a car repair place, especially in North (by God!) Ridgeville, Ohio.

They did not disappoint. Told the guy what the problem was and he told me the problem was common with certain Ford models. He hadn't seen it on a Mazda but when I told him that the particular Mazda has a Ford engine/transmission in it (made in Hammamatsu and shared with the Ford C-Max) he nodded and said then it was likely all it needed was a transmission flush and refill. They've fixed a lot of them that way. I sure didn't didn't expect that!

And it worked! happydance

Another 5 star review coming up! ThumbsUp

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34944 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!! That is great. Now I have to move to your neighborhood.

Ford owned a big chunk of Mazda and parts went back and forth.
I think Ford has sold all or most of its stock.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25704 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Now I’ll have to drive our Volvo to Ohio for a decent repair. Shrug

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
A good and honest mechanic is worth his weight in gold. I'm fortunate to have one in Wexford, PA (Herb Scott's) that I've dealt with since I moved to this area in 1983. The shop was originally run by Herb Scott, who was a well-known race car driver on local tracks. By the time I started patronizing the shop, it was being run by Herb's son. He's now retired and sold the shop to one of his mechanics.

The mention of the Ford-Mazda relationship reflected my Ford Focus. It had an engine/transmission that was shared by the sporty version of the Focus I owned and some Mazda sedans. It seemed pretty bullet-proof because that was the vehicle that I put 297,000 miles on. It probably could have gone further except for body rust that was going to be expensive to repair.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7407 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Yep. We have one too. But they are pretty close to my age. Not sure what we will do when they pack it in.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13555 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:

There's this really nice house on the lake that I hear will be available later this year...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37895 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:

There's this really nice house on the lake that I hear will be available later this year...

I’ll have to see what kind of wine glasses are supplied before I commit. Big Grin

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:

I’ll have to see what kind of wine glasses are supplied before I commit. Big Grin

ACH! The pressure is killing me! Blink

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34944 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25704 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post