well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    ala carte medical billing...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ala carte medical billing...
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Somewhat related

quote:
Hospitals Have Started Posting Their Prices Online. Here's What They Reveal

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34978 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
When I was going to have an MRI done on my shoulder I decided not to when I discovered that the place my Dr. sent me wanted $2K above the $2K my insurance would pay. My shoulder seems to have taken care of itself so I am glad I put it off.

While that was going on I discovered a website (can't find it now) that listed the cost of procedures like shoulder MRI's from most expensive to least expensive all over the state. It turned out that the place I was sent was the most expensive in the state and there was an MRI facility some 30 miles away that would do the work for about $600 total.

I called the surgeon's office and the nurse told me that they would be fine with using an MRI from the less expensive place, but to be sure and get the disc as the printouts from little places like that aren't always the best.

I wonder if there is a resource like that for cataract surgery.

Posts: 34978 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
So I bailed...

Back to square one!

Another mess on this long one was the surgical center sent out paperwork which listed a clinic to go get a COVID test... I checked there and found it would be $250 or something, so I checked back with the surgical center if another clinic would do. They asked if I was vaccinated and said I could just send an image of my card!

If I hadn't asked and just followed directions...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7557 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I hadn't asked and just followed directions

Mad

I hate it when information is not presented in a thoughtful and helpful way and you only get good info by asking just the right questions!

To me it says they are not putting the patient's experience or well-being at the top priority.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18579 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
With COVID, it seems that protocols have been evolving/changing over time and providers are not always keeping current. I imagine they have a fair amount of stuff that they're juggling.

Glad ron thought to ask!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
And then there is the question about how the deductible works for insurance...

When I was retired from the school and had to purchase insurance on the open market, I always treated it as a catastrophic plan, looking at the high deductibles. The year I had a hip replaced, I knew I would be going over, so went ahead and had other things checked.

But here's the question which even stumped the person I talked to at the insurance company yesterday:

I've noticed while getting estimates from medical providers that the price will drop when they run my insurance, even though I am nowhere near my deductible... It's almost as if they have a discount price for some insurances, even though they aren't getting paid by them??

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7557 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
I've noticed while getting estimates from medical providers that the price will drop when they run my insurance, even though I am nowhere near my deductible... It's almost as if they have a discount price for some insurances, even though they aren't getting paid by them??

My dentist's office does that as well. I have no idea why.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
It's because the insurance companies have negotiated lower prices with some providers.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21353 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
My dentist's office drops the price even though they don't take my insurance.

Very odd.