well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Republican Convert to Assault Weapon Ban

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Republican Convert to Assault Weapon Ban
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
Rep. Turner of Ohio

quote:
“The carnage these military-style weapons are able to produce when available to the wrong people is intolerable,” Turner said in a statement. “This tragedy must become a catalyst for a broader national conversation about what we can do to stop these mass shootings.”

His daughter was present at the shooting.

To his face, I would say thank you for seeing the light. To the rest of the world I would say something rather different ...

This is a guy with a 93% NRA rating who voted against even expanding background checks a few months ago. Now his daughter has witnessed the carnage and he sees the light.

Sorry, the absolute need to experience something in order to think clearly about the subject is a sign of weak intelligence or minimal capacity for empathy. That's today's GOP. ThumbsUp

Maybe more Republican leaders need to have family members experience this ...

Posts: 12567 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Agreed-- it's like the business leaders who don't get all fired up about equal pay/equal opportunity until their daughters entered the job market.

Posts: 35384 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yep.

Posts: 12567 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I'm glad he came around, I'm not glad it took his daughter being in the line of fire for him to do so.

Apparently, his empathy is fairly limited.

Posts: 45764 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Sometimes we need a really big push to change our minds. I'm glad he came around, whatever the impetus was.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37991 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Sometimes we need a really big push to change our minds. I'm glad he came around, whatever the impetus was.

It’s sort of the same idea as, on the issue of sexual assault or harassment, “what if it was your wife or daughter?”

It shouldn’t need to be framed that way.

Posts: 45764 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
It shouldn’t need to be framed that way.

No, it shouldn't need to be framed that way.

I suspect people who experience these Road to Damascus conversions aren't always trusted by those who were on board earlier. I would probably always harbor my doubts, and would push the convert to the margins (politely). You never know if their conversion is genuine or tactical, enduring or temporarily convenient.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Sorry, the absolute need to experience something in order to think clearly about the subject is a sign of weak intelligence or minimal capacity for empathy.

Insightful comment.

Posts: 24770 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post