well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Outstanding château in Normandy

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outstanding château in Normandy
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
https://youtu.be/tfiZCe4p6Os

This might not be to everyone's taste but I like it.

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It's really beautiful! Fairly restrained for manor houses of this sort. Very well done.

And the gardens are spectacular! ThumbsUp

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
That interior decorator has exquisite taste. What's not to love?

I would love to go there for 6 mos to write. But owning it would be very demanding. And would feel a bit selfish. How about we all buy it for our group retirement?

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It sure about selfish. Owning/maintaining a house like this is going require a large staff. Not only that, the staff will have to be first rate and won’t come cheap.

Manor houses are little cottage industries into themselves and are a source of employment in agrarian districts where not much is available. It’s a strange system, but it’s been going on for centuries.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
After just finishing "Downton Abbey", this residence looks almost shabby (especially considering, that the Abbey was then considered by its residents far less sumptuous than the outright palaces which occasionally figured).

Downton Abbey

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
It sure about selfish. Owning/maintaining a house like this is going require a large staff. Not only that, the staff will have to be first rate and won’t come cheap.

Manor houses are little cottage industries into themselves and are a source of employment in agrarian districts where not much is available. It’s a strange system, but it’s been going on for centuries.

So people have serfs out of the goodness of their hearts? People who have staffs like that *use* other human beings and take a superior position to them--staff defers to the owner. I find class hierarchy revolting.

But I was thinking selfish more in terms of disproportionate use of resources. The planet has finite resources. This house claims a disproportionate share of them.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I couldn't afford the lawn mowing. But having been on our recreation association board for eight years maintaining a pool, tennis courts, large clubhouse with two decks, two bridges and three ponds, I have a real good idea how much work is involved. It's a LOT more than you would think. As Steve said, a cottage industry.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I could live in one of the outbuildings.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
After just finishing "Downton Abbey", this residence looks almost shabby (especially considering, that the Abbey was then considered by its residents far less sumptuous than the outright palaces which occasionally figured).

Downton Abbey

Hi, Amanda.

I know this said Downton Abbey (Highclere Castle) but it's actually Harewood House, especially interesting because the Princess Royal (Queen Mary's daughter) married the Earl of Harewood and lived here.

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post