well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Walkable community

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walkable community
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
‘People are happier in a walkable neighborhood’: the US community that banned cars

A new housing development outside Phoenix is looking towards European cities for inspiration and shutting out the cars. So far residents love it

https://www.theguardian.com/ci...orhood-tempe-arizona

I'm not interested in living in AZ, but the concept of this kind of community is intriguing to me.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Developments like this are similar to walkable urban areas. Perfect for singles who can work from home, nice for Dinks and retired folks. Builders love them because they’re super dense and utilities are clustered.

But get a dog and a couple of kids and the concept no longer works.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

So what do they do in walkable European cities with dogs and kids?

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I love the idea of a walkable city and I would prefer not to need to drive... But I wonder how a community of 1000 people can sustain a grocery store and other amenities mentioned in the article.

Separate from that, I don't want to live in apartment or condo-style living, I want a dedicated piano room.... I also want sidewalks to be shady and for there to be green around my house (maybe this Arizona location isn't the best spot for that, so it's not the community-style per se).

Also, all the new housing developments I've seen with single-family homes on super small plots don't appeal to me either...

Guess I'm just a curmudgeon WhoMe

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

So what do they do in walkable European cities with dogs and kids?

I think a lot of them move to the ‘burbs. Others spend a lot of time trying to find things for the kids to do - easier in a dense urban area than in this suburban apartment complex.

I wonder how the residents of that community get to work? There is a Metro in Tempe but I can’t tell how close it is to this development.

Here’s the website. Nice apartments, not inexpensive. I suspect parking in the surrounding neighborhoods is going to be a nightmare.

https://culdesac.com/

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Here's the website for Culdesac:

https://culdesac.com/tempe/

quote:
How you move defines how you live
Culdesac Tempe is designed for walkability. We've partnered with the world's leading mobility companies to bring you the most affordable and convenient ways to get around town. As a resident, you'll receive 15% off all Lyft rides, free rides on the metro, and Bird scooters just a minute away.

15% off all Lyft rides
Free rides on the metro
Carsharing starting at $5/hour with Envoy
100+ Bird scooters on-site
1,000+ bike parking spots

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Quirt and I are moving to a very walkable town, but I can't imagine doing away with our cars. In (on?) Manhattan, yes, but there are very few places in this country where you can go completely carless.

For example, we'll be able to walk to a small grocery store. I'll likely be able to get most of what I want there or at the farmer's market, but Quirt is going to want to drive to a bigger supermarket and his beloved TJ's and Costco. We can walk to a tiny hardware store, but there are going to be times when we want a full selection and won't want to wait for delivery.

We're going to be able to walk to a bus-to-train situation that will get us to Grand Central Station in an hour, so entertainment and shopping for things we can carry will be a no-brainer. Perhaps at some point as we age, we'll opt for Lyft and carsharing, but I'm a lifelong surburbanite. I need (and perhaps it's just an emotional need) the capacity to haul things and, honestly, I just like the freedom of my own wheels.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just like the freedom of my own wheels

I agree! And I think this is a huge thing for a lot of Americans. So it may work to facilitate communities so it's possible to drive a lot less, but I wonder if the actual prohibition on owning a car is a barrier to getting people to live in communities like the one in Arizona.

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
We are in a pretty walkable/bikeable community here, what might have been called suburban in the 19th century: Victorian homes, business district, village green. All 1 mile from the ferry to Manhattan. Lots of bus service and one train. If you look up a map of Stapleton, Staten Island you can see how convenient it is.

Until I was hit by a car 3 years ago and took a hiatus from biking, I biked almost everywhere, and in this area it's easy to get to everything. I always believed the bicycle is one of the greatest inventions.

Most of Staten Island is car culture. I do drive but don't love it...I hate shopping malls and such, and it's at least a 20 minute drive to the local one. My wife really needed a car to get to work in NJ, though she is retired now. We still do use the car a good amount. I plan to get back on the bike when I get more comfortable with it.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Until I was hit by a car 3 years ago

I remember when that happened!

And this is another barrier to giving up cars -- most places, most roads etc. are not sufficiently bike-friendly. And between structural issues and cultural ones (i.e., too many people drive like a-holes) it's often not safe for cyclists. Frowner

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
It's a bit of a misnomer. It may be a "walkable community" but it's smack dab in the middle of Tempe. It's conveniently located, right on the rail line so in that sense you don't need a car if you want to go anywhere the light rail goes - airport, downtown sports/cultural areas, ASU. But anywhere else and you're out of luck.

I love the idea, though. And to your question, SK, it can support a grocery store, etc. because it's literally RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF TEMPE. Like a say, a misnomer. Any other apartment building in the area would also be a "walkable community." I'm guessing (if it's allowed) that lots of nearby residents would also take advantage of their grocery store.

And the great unspoken: it's going to be full of students, VRBOs and other rentals. That wouldn't appeal to me, but obviously it would for an investor (or a rich set of parents wanting to buy their kid an apartment while they're going to school).

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post