well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Functional Home Computer Printer?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Functional Home Computer Printer?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
How to find a home computer printer that is easy to set up to print and scan?

Bought an Epson, it was so much trouble I bought a Canon.
The Canon was worse. Founds pages of sites with people complaining about them.
Back to the Epson. It is printing, but scanning a major puzzle. Bob has 30+ years of IT experience and he gave up and quit. My problem solving bent makes it difficult for me to give up.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
They all suck

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
Not an answer to your question, but one of the best decisions I ever made was giving up on all my home printers. I use the local FedEx office.

I print whatever I need to a PDF file, and email it to FedEx. I pick it up whenever I’m driving by their office. And of course they have scanners there. I find that I spend way less on my per page printing, then I was just keeping the damn ink up-to-date on the printers. It’s really pretty darn cheap.

So, back to your original question. No I have no idea…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Thank you

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I have a Canon MX 922. I have had no problem with scanning but it is limited to 8-1/2 x 11 pages. We scan all the time but our needs are uncomplicated.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We have the same model Canon printer as RP. Works fine but ink is pricey.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’ve had good luck with my Canons but when it came time to get a new printer for my sister I bought an HP Envy.

Very easy to set up and worked properly right out if the box. On sale at Staples.

The trick seems to be to spend enough. That number seems to be around $200.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Mrs pj has an old HP 3-in-one color inkjet printer. The color cartridges are hard to find and hideously expensive. We only print in black and white anymore. The quality is inconsistent, partly because we print so infrequently, the printhead dries out and clogs up. We'll get the black cartridge refilled if it runs out.

I tried the scanner several times. HP claims the only way to use it is to install their app. Not gonna.

I had to scan a bunch of documents recently. Went to FedEx Office. Scanned them to PDF onto a thumb drive for 49 cents a page. It's a bargain compared to buying a new printer/scanner and trying to get it working in an afternoon.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
“I tried the scanner several times. HP claims the only way to use it is to install their app. Not gonna.”

Why not? It works very well.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Buy two separate appliances.

Go with a laser printer for a printer, you’ll never have to deal with inkjet cartridges again. Laser cartridges are quite a bit more expensive to start, but they last a long time, won’t clog, and generally won’t go bad just because you leave them unused for a long time. So over the longer term, it will be cheaper to go with a laser printer than to keep buying inkjet cartridges.

Get a separate scanner that’s great for scanning. Pick one with TWAIN support and hope that can save you from having to install custom scanning software. Or if you want to go low-cost, buy a cheapo inkjet+scanner combo and use it only for its scanning function, never have to pay for another inkjet cartridge again.

Good luck.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Don't get me started on HP Envy printers. I bought one and it's been nothing but a headache. First, their controller app (HP Smart) is stupid. Second, the printer continually goes offline, and the only way to reconnect is to reboot both the printer AND your computer.

Finally, and where I totally lost it, you have the option of signing up for their ink subscription service, and you get the first three months of ink free. So I signed up because, well, three months free. Then I unsubscribed after that three month free period. What they don't tell you - when you unsubscribe, they brick the existing ink you have. By that, I mean they literally will not allow you to print if you're using "subscription" ink cartridges and you aren't currently an active subscriber.

What this means, as far as I can tell, is that I now have about 2 unusable cartridges of perfectly good ink of each color (plus packaging, manufacturing, etc.), that I can either return (more waste and transportation cost) or throw out. Then I have to purchase their ink cartridges and install those "ink without subscription taint" cartridges. At that point, I think the printer will print again. I haven't tested this because the entire process has taken me weeks. Grrrrr. Insanity. Never again.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Ugh. We didn't sign up for the ink service (I hate plans like that), and it seems to be working currently, but maybe it was a mistake.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
No, I think my mistake was in signing up for it in the first place. Since you didn't, I think you should be good.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
“I tried the scanner several times. HP claims the only way to use it is to install their app. Not gonna.”

Why not? It works very well.
Distinct lack of trust. And the printer is from the Windows 7 era. My experience with old HP products on new versions of Windows has been 80% failure.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I don't think there is such a thing.

Here, at least you can laugh about it.

Trying to Print Something Big Grin

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post