well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Reversing age-related cognitive impairments

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reversing age-related cognitive impairments
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Just in mice so far, but interesting nonetheless.

quote:
Just a few doses of an experimental drug can reverse age-related declines in memory and mental flexibility in mice, according to a new study by UC San Francisco scientists.

The drug, called ISRIB, has already been shown in laboratory studies to restore memory function months after traumatic brain injury (TBI), reverse cognitive impairments in Down Syndrome, prevent noise-related hearing loss, fight certain types of prostate cancer and even enhance cognition in healthy animals.

In the new study, published Dec. 1, 2020, in the open-access journal eLife, researchers showed rapid restoration of youthful cognitive abilities in aged mice, accompanied by a rejuvenation of brain and immune cells that could help explain improvements in brain function.

“ISRIB’s extremely rapid effects show for the first time that a significant component of age-related cognitive losses may be caused by a kind of reversible physiological ‘blockage’ rather than more permanent degradation,” said Susanna Rosi, Ph.D., Lewis and Ruth Cozen Chair II and professor in the departments of Neurological Surgery and of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Science.

“The data suggest that the aged brain has not permanently lost essential cognitive capacities, as was commonly assumed, but rather that these cognitive resources are still there but have been somehow blocked, trapped by a vicious cycle of cellular stress,” added Peter Walter, Ph.D., a professor in the UCSF Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics and a Howard Hughes Medical Institute investigator. “Our work with ISRIB demonstrates a way to break that cycle and restore cognitive abilities that had become walled off over time.”

https://www.universityofcalifo...-decline-within-days

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The drug, called ISRIB, has already been shown in laboratory studies to restore memory function months after traumatic brain injury (TBI), reverse cognitive impairments in Down Syndrome, prevent noise-related hearing loss, fight certain types of prostate cancer and even enhance cognition in healthy animals.

Wow, that's quite a list!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It does seem pretty far reaching (or maybe far fetched!), but sometimes there's an common element underlying various conditions that can explain things.

I'm going to send the university's press release to my friend who is a medical researcher. Part of her research involves examining changes in the eye that result from traumatic brain injury. She has been studying TBI for some time and may have some insights.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
WOW!! That pretty much runs the gamut, except restoring erectile dysfunction. Eeker

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yea, I'd be kind of writing it off but Peter Walter has received the Lasker Award along with a bunch of other awards.

http://www.laskerfoundation.or...ed-protein-response/

A lot of Lasker winners go on to win the Nobel Prize....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
My friend's response to my query about the research..

quote:
It passes the sniff test, with a few caveats:

1) the work was funded by NIH (there was a smiley here)

2) the author whose lab the work was performed in won the Lasker Award, which is considered the last step on the way to a nobel prize

3) eLife is a new journal, whose stated purpose is to publish good papers before review. They only accept 15% of submissions, and say they are in competition with Nature and Science. But their impact factor is much lower than those journals, so they spend a lot of time arguing how the impact factor (determined by # of citations their papers receive) is unimportant. I'm surprised they didn't submit work of this magnitude to Science or Nature.

4) Mice are way different than humans and even rats, and a number of successful preclinical trials run with mice were completely unsuccessful in humans. Why didn't they use rats? (there was another smiley here)

(Bias alert....my friend works with rats in her research....)

Bazootiehead-in-training

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
WOW!! That pretty much runs the gamut, except restoring erectile dysfunction. Eeker

Big Grin

who knows ...

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
And on the Vision Front ...

Perhaps we can tackle age-related vision loss.

Personal stake in this one!

Alas, .... mice again. Razzer

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Sent that to my friend. She said "great article. why'd they use mice?"

Big Grin

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Tell them to hurry. I forget why.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:

Big Grin

who knows ...

Who would want to restore erectile dysfunction?

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17679 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Maybe. you'd have to see the spouse involved.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13556 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Tell them to hurry. I forget why.

Smiler Smiler Smiler

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
quote:
quote:

Big Grin

who knows ...

hysteric

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
quote:
quote:

Big Grin

who knows ...

hysteric

Sale on saltpeter!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post