well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    There’s a bird on my front porch

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

There’s a bird on my front porch
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
It’s actually perched on the flowerpot on my front porch and this is the third day it’s been there. It looks like a Robin to me, and it’s pecking on the vinyl siding. One peck about every 15 seconds.

Only one.

I chase it away and it comes right back. Sam was interested for a short time (he can see it through the sidelite) but no longer is.

Please advise.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34965 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oof... we had problems with squirrels eating our porch posts. You have my sympathy!

Try something shiny?

Check this list
https://www.statefarm.com/simp...birds-out-of-my-yard

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18501 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Odd. Don't ever recall a robin going after anything but worms in the ground.

We need a pic or it didn't happen. Big Grin

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37922 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Is there a window nearby?

quote:
Q: Every day, a cardinal (or a robin, a tufted titmouse, etc.) spends hours pecking at the same window of my house, and I can't get it to stop. I'm afraid the bird is going to hurt itself. What can I do?

A: Birds are pretty, but they're clearly not the smartest of God's creatures. The term "bird brain" describes a knucklehead for a good reason. What you are witnessing is a result of their natural territorial instincts. The pesky bird perceives the reflection as an invader to nesting territory and a competitor for a mate, and this is an attempt to drive the competitor away.

Such behavior isn't limited to robins and cardinals. Last month, in Panama, we watched a rufous-capped warbler repeatedly peck at the rearview mirror of our tour bus. My advice doesn't provide immediate satisfaction, but it's the best I can do. Close the blinds or curtains and be patient. The bird will eventually tire of its fruitless battle and move on.

https://www.cleveland.com/neob...at_your_windows.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37922 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
There is a window but the bird is pecking on the siding around the corner.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34965 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
A feathered puzzle.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25705 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It may be nesting in the pot. We had a family of wrens hatched in our anthurium pot last year. It was fun to watch them come and go and hear the little chirps when they hatched.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13556 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Is it drunk on some fermented berries? We had that happen one year. Kept flying into the window.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Put a mirror out there where you can see it. Take pictures maybe.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25705 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:

We need a pic or it didn't happen. Big Grin

Yes

Posts: 12536 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post