well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Mattress shopping
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mattress shopping
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
Are they now saying you shouldn't flip your mattress?

Yes, there are some mattresses that have these distinct layers and as a result can't be flipped, although they can be rotated, where the top is still on the top but the right side gets moved around to the left etc. -- Unless you get what Quirt described, in which case I believe they can be neither flipped nor rotated.

And I agree, flipping contributes to the length of the mattress.

I don't know why this all has to be so complicated now.

Ours can be rotated, I believe, but definitely not flipped.

Lisa, in case this is of interest, here's the place where we got ours. Some possibly useful info on mattresses is on the site, but, as you say, I'm not sure you'd want to order without testing it (although companies like Casper seem to be doing a great mail order business, and are highly rated).

https://okmattress.com/latex_m...pillows/talalay.html

Posts: 45778 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Neither Mary Anna nor I remembers whether you could have MORE than three layers on the mattress (although we both think they would have custom built anything, for a price). However, I do recall that you could have each layer as thick or as thin as you wanted it.

Posts: 45778 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Yes Cindy - every single mattress in the smarmy mattress store -- even the $12,000 one! -- was single sided, meaning the bottom was basically just like the surface of a box spring, and you could not flip the mattress over and sleep on the other side.

The smarmy mattress salespeople say (this is basically their exact wording):

1) People were getting hurt flipping mattresses because they are so heavy

2) Mattresses were getting damaged when people bent them while flipping

3) Mattress manufacturers realized that if they just concentrated on making one side of the mattress really durable and awesome, there would be no need to flip the mattress at all.

I say:
Mattress manufacturers realized that if they don't make mattresses flippable, they won't last 18 years anymore and people will have to buy new mattresses more often resulting in more profit for mattress manufacturers.

Posts: 4411 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
President's Day is coming up; there are often sales. Even without a sale you can negotiate price. We did that when we bought a lower box spring for my Mom's bed; it was a pretty significant savings.

More:

https://www.thespruce.com/best...y-a-mattress-1387758

Smarmy is a good word to describe the sales approach. I think I remember a recent poll where mattress salespeople were rated lower than those who sell cars.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38014 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Keep it simple.
Order a waterbed .
Yes, they are back.
Slosh
Slosh

Is sex really better on a waterbed? I can't remember.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25736 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:

Is sex really better on a waterbed?
It depends.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30039 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
So an update on my mattress shopping if anyone is super bored Smiler . I took a trip out to the local mattress factory place. Or at least what used to be the local mattress factory place. They are still a family owned business and still located in their original factory building, but they no longer make any of their own standard mattresses (they still build custom stuff for like RVs and weird shapes). They have a "showroom" which is really just kind of a sketchy concrete floored dingy cold warehouse space. But they are nice, low pressure, and super non-smarmy. I tested out a bunch of different mattresses including an all latex foam one which was ok - comfy, but so different from what I'm used to that I'm not sure I'm confident ordering one from the internet. They do sell a bunch of flippable 2 sided ones and there were several that I thought would probably be ok but nothing that knocked my socks off.

Until I laid on this: https://velikabed.com/

Wow - it was like floating on a cloud. It's a 2 sided (flippable) hyrbrid latex mattress with springs in the middle, and then on top of it is a feather bed thing made out of latex and wool - one side of the feater bed is a soft foam and one is a medium, and then the mattress itself has a firmer foam. So depending on which side of the featherbed you face up or whether you use it at all, you can get different feels. I tried it all 3 ways and it was amazing each way.

There was no price on this thing but I could tell it was going to be expensive -- hand tufted, talaylay latex, organic cotton, new zealand wool, super nice exterior fabric, 2 sided -- I have learned all the buzzwords that make mattresses stupid expensive and this had all of them. As I laid there waiting for the guy to come back with the price, I was steeling myself for another more-than-my-car-costs number. So I was happily surprised when he came back with a number less than $2k. Now I'm not sure that price is actually the price - it took him a while to come up with and according to the website, this thing should retail closer to $6K. But assuming the price he gave me is accurate, I feel like it would be worth every penny - it was THAT amazing.

So Mr. Lisa wasn't with me to test it and I didn't want to just buy it without him ever seeing it, but I was super tempted to just plunk down my credit card. And I NEVER impulse buy anything like that. That's how amazing this mattress was.

But I like to over-research....so I came home and looked for reviews. Nothing. All I can find it articles from bedding-industry-journals talking about the slick marketing designed to appeal to women and how carrying this will bring "luxury" customers into the showroom which makes me feel vaguely manipulated. It's made by a big mattress company in New Jersey and their other lines do not seem to get great reviews so that gives me pause. In this mattress's defense, it seems like it was very recently introduced (like last August) and is only available at like 5 mattress stores in the country right now, which probably explains the lack of reviews. But I feel like I'd be plunking down close to $2K on a big unknown.....who knows if this thing will last. It does seem well made out of high quality materials, but Ugh.....I'd feel so much better if there were just a few reviews.

Anyhow, that's where things stand. I'm in love with this mattress and I need to send Mr. Lisa to see it this weekend. I guess if he likes it, we may end up taking a chance on it. Honestly, it seems as if every mattress has mostly bad reviews on the internet anyway -- I guess people who are happy don't tend to leave reviews. So no matter what we get, I feel like it's going to be a leap of faith.

And while they will allow an exchange for a one time fee, this mattress is probably one of the more expensive things in the store so I don't know what we would actually exchange it for. So there's that.

Honestly, the fact that I'm even still considering it despite the lack of reviews, somewhat sketchy manufacturer track record and the lack of return/exchangability says volumes about how much I actually liked this thing. Maybe I just need to go with my gut and not worry about the research for once!

Posts: 4411 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Not bored here! I'm following your journey with great interest, hoping to be brave enough to embark on my own version.....

Yes

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38014 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess people who are happy don't tend to leave reviews.

This is definitely a factor, I think.

Re the mattress, how long did you spend on it? I hate mattress shopping because you can't really recreate the sleep experience -- your pillow, your jammies... And even if you lay there for a good 10 minutes, you can't really know how it's going to be after 6 hours....

But! We did pick out our mattress after that standard showroom floor testing, and except for the fact that it sleeps hot (which is great in the winter), we like the firmness of it etc. So, I'll stop rambling and just say, good luck! If you liked it that much, you will probably be happy with it, as long as it also works for Mr. Lisa.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18613 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post