well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Anyone in Dorian's way?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone in Dorian's way?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
It's a Cat 5 with sustained winds of 180 mph.

Eeker

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37994 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Not here, not unless it really changes to a more westerly path. Hopefully we won't even really see much in terms of wind speed.

That said, I'll be keeping my eye on the weather reports, never say never.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18602 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hurricane Dorian has made landfall on Abaco Islands in the Bahamas as a catastrophic Category 5 storm with 180 mph winds.

Hundreds of people hunkered down in schools, churches and other shelters as officials recognized there were not many structures on higher ground on the largely flat archipelago just southeast of Florida. Power and water outages were reported, with crews working in some communities as authorities warned that all government workers will remain indoors once winds reach 40 mph.

Millions from Florida to the Carolinas kept a wary eye on Dorian amid indications it would veer sharply northeastward after passing the Bahamas and track up the U.S. Southeast seaboard. But authorities warned that even if its core did not make U.S. landfall and stayed offshore, the potent storm would likely hammer U.S. coastal areas with powerful winds and heavy surf.

The National Hurricane Center in Miami said Dorian’s maximum sustained winds have increased to 180 mph, up from 175 mph. It is moving west at 7 mph. “Catastrophic conditions” are occurring in The Abaco Islands and expected across Grand Bahama later in the day, the center said.

With its 180 mph winds, Hurricane Dorian is now tied for the 4th strongest winds in the Atlantic since 1950, when record keeping began improving.

https://www.chicagotribune.com...eblltmbgy-story.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37994 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
My son's in central FL and was really worried, but now that its track is more easterly, he'll probably be OK.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13825 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Same for my central Florida son. They had decided not to evacuate, and now that looks like it was the right decision.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15521 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine ran into some shoppers in Williamsburg who were buying things for college. She said "you'll enjoy W&M." They replied, "oh, we're from Florida, but we've been evacuated up here."

Posts: 12571 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
A friend of mine ran into some shoppers in Williamsburg who were buying things for college. She said "you'll enjoy W&M." They replied, "oh, we're from Florida, but we've been evacuated up here."

Which won't seem like quite as good an idea if Dorian slides up the East Coast and wallops North Carolina/Virginia.

Posts: 45769 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Indeed.

I'm annoyed that Pat Robertson's (likely) prayers have SAVED Mar-a-Lago. But did he have to bring it to himself in Virginia Beach? Big Grin

Posts: 12571 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Wow.

quote:
Here is something that you can take to the bank. We will not see the name "Dorian" used in the Atlantic basin for any future hurricane. The names of particularly destructive or impactful storms are retired. According to the National Hurricane Center, Dorian is now tied with the 1935 Labor Day hurricane for the strongest Atlantic hurricane landfall on record. In a 3 pm advisory on September 1st, the National Hurricane Center warned of gusts to 220 mph and 18 to 23 feet storm surges for parts of the Abacos. I have been in the field of meteorology over 25 years and do not recall seeing warnings about 220 mph gusts for a hurricane.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/m...enging/#3b073f75ba16

Bazootiehead-in-training