well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    We're under contract!
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We're under contract!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had thought that after we went under contract, or after we closed, something would come up that I would see and think “oh no, we should have bought this one.” But nope, there’s really been nothing that both checks our boxes and is remotely within our budget.

We've done the same thing for almost exactly twelve months. Since the date of our purchase, I haven't seen anything that had the right location and that was as good a fit as the one we got. I feel fortunate, even if it isn't perfect in every way.

Posts: 45838 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
We've done the same thing for almost exactly twelve months.

Oh wow, I sort of knew it had been that long, but didn't really "get" it.

I bet you are super excited to get moved finally!

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18854 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Wow.

I’ve seen a few issues uncovered by an inspection but nothing like that.

Glad you didn’t get stuck with it.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35081 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you escaped unscathed from what sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. It would be hard to guess whether that house would go up in flames or rot to the ground first.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7466 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Wow. You did dodge a bullet. I suspect your realtor is used to people desperate to find a place in Missoula. For her to bring in contractors to look at it is a bit over the top.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13644 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Quite the saga. Whatever it cost for the inspection was money well spent. You avoided a disaster.

Onward and upward!

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38209 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
pique, that’s a relief that you’re not buying that house!

I wonder if it makes sense to find a realtor in Missoula that you like, and have them keep an eye out for you, rather than get stuck with whoever is the “top producer” listing agent that comes with the house? (Assuming that’s what happened.) We have someone watching the market for us here.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9851 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
pique, that’s a relief that you’re not buying that house!

I wonder if it makes sense to find a realtor in Missoula that you like, and have them keep an eye out for you, rather than get stuck with whoever is the “top producer” listing agent that comes with the house? (Assuming that’s what happened.) We have someone watching the market for us here.

We had a professional watching the market ... Mary Anna. She has eyes like a hawk for every house that lists, even when we are not looking to buy or sell.

Posts: 45838 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I do have to award style points for paint cans full of concrete used as joist supports.

Hold my beer…

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35081 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Wow, glad you discovered all those red flags in time and didn’t proceed with the buy. But sorry that it didn’t work out and you have to keep looking. Frowner

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13883 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Wow, glad you discovered all those red flags in time and didn’t proceed with the buy. But sorry that it didn’t work out and you have to keep looking. Frowner

Thanks, Joe. We're going to focus this summer on getting our current house updated and ready to put on the market next spring. The local agent says we could get $100-200k more for this house with a few improvements. I just got home from Missoula and will get more details from her this week. Bonus: we'll no doubt enjoy living here more in a decluttered and purged house that has been all spiffed up outside and in.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21538 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I do have to award style points for paint cans full of concrete used as joist supports.

Hold my beer…

i know, right? Roll Eyes

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21538 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

Hold my beer…

i know, right? Roll Eyes

I mean, at least they added concrete??

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18854 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Glad you dodged that bullet.
Someone needs to take that real estate agent down a couple of notches.

Have seen paint cans full of concrete somewhere. Maybe they were propping up an old barn.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25846 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Have seen paint cans full of concrete somewhere. Maybe they were propping up an old barn.

I have seen them used as weights to keep small tented structures from getting blown over in the wind, tethered by ropes to the poles. As at farmers’ markets.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13883 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post