well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Oh, How Beautiful: Playing with a Great White Shark

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oh, How Beautiful: Playing with a Great White Shark
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
"Ocean" Ramsey's Viral Video

Well, maybe not ...

Some hostile commentary.

quote:
“I can’t believe that ‘please don’t grab the 18 foot long wild predator’ is something that needs to be explicitly said out loud, but here we are,” David Shiffman, a marine biologist who studies sharks, told The Washington Post in a Twitter message

quote:
“Promoting through social media that it’s safe and okay to swim with these animals is irresponsible,” Domeier, who has spent years studying sharks, told The Post in a phone interview Thursday.

quote:
“If you go shark diving almost anywhere in the world with a legitimate, respected shark diving operator, the very first thing they will tell you is, ‘Do not touch the sharks,’ ” he said.

“This is not shark advocacy...it is selfish, self-promotion,” Domeier wrote.

quote:
Shiffman had an equally scathing rebuke of Ramsey’s actions.

“There is absolutely no reason for this person to grab and attempt to ride a free-swimming animal,” Shiffman tweeted. “It doesn’t show that sharks aren’t dangerous, it shows that some humans make bad choices.”

quote:
Domeier said he hopes people will understand that great white sharks deserve the same level of respect as other predators.

“If you go on a safari in Botswana, you don’t grab onto the mane of lion and let it drag you around,” he said. “You just don’t do that.”

Posts: 12578 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post